Boston Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein ‘95 is ready to move on.

After nine years, two World Series championships and one of the worst collapses in major league history, Epstein has reportedly agreed to terminate his Red Sox contract one year early for a five-year deal with the Chicago Cubs reportedly worth between $15 to $20 million.

Although the move has not been officially announced, Epstein is expected to officially leave the Red Sox before the end of the week.

Credited with helping to lift the Boston Red Sox’s 86-year “Curse of the Bambino,” a curse often cited as a reason for the Red Sox’s failure to win the World Series, Epstein will be taking on the Cubs’ “Curse of the Billy Goat.” The Cubs last won the World Series in 1908, 103 years ago.

Rahim Hashim ’14, who has been a fan of the Red Sox since 2005, said he has always been a fan of Epstein’s and was upset when he heard the news. On the other hand, Nace Cohen ’14, a lifelong Red Sox fan, said he feels more ambivalent about the change.

Epstein, now 37, made baseball history when he was hired in 2002; at 28, he was the youngest general manager in Major League Basbeball’s history. In a 2002 interview with the News, Epstein called the appointment a “dream come true,” noting that he had grown up just a mile from Fenway Park.

At Yale, Epstein was an American Studies major and the manager of the men’s hockey team. He also served as a sports editor of the News, though he said he found his interests lay outside of journalism.

“I found journalism to be a very individualistic pursuit,” Epstein told the News in 2002. “It seemed too isolated and cynical for me.”

Under Epstein’s leadership, the Red Sox won two World Series titles, once in 2004 and again in 2007.