October 6th, 2011 | University

Swensen to enjoy cold ones

David Swensen is an "expert in fine beer" in this photo.
David Swensen is an "expert in fine beer" in this photo. Photo by Gavan Gideon.

Yale’s Chief Investment Officer David Swensen is apparently in a pretty good mood after leading his team to a 21.9 percent return on the University’s investment this year — at least good enough to kick back and enjoy a few beers with the students who benefit from his work.

In an email to Saybrook students on Wednesday, the college’s Operations Manager Ann-Marie Apicella said that for the first time ever, Swensen, an “expert on fine beer,” will host a beer tasting session for Saybrugians next Tuesday. Only the first 25 Saybrook students to sign up will be given the opportunity to drink with the investment guru.

“Various beers with bread and cheese will be offered and discussed,” Apicella wrote.

The event, which will take place in the Saybrook Master’s House, is open to seniors and juniors over 21 years of age.

• Pangloss

Please, Mr. Swensen, introduce them to the Belgian monastery ales. Also recommended are Bells Two Hearted Ale, Smuttynose Homunculus, beers from Ommegang Brewery and those from Samuel Smith.

Yalies, if he offers you anything at 21.9%, you’d best have only one.

• Inigo_Montoya

He’s been doing this for Berkeley seniors for a number of years. It’s nice to see that he’s willing to share his knowledge of beer (not to mention the beer itself) with members of other colleges.

Also, @the good, optimistic doctor: I definitely recall a Sam Smith taddy and some Belgian ales from my own BK beer tasting.

-BK Alum

• CBKM

Tracquair Jacobite, Trappistes Rochefort 10, anything from Flying Dog (but especially the Gonzo Imperial Porter), anything from Founders (I’m fond of the Dirty Bastard), and please, please, please make them see that Guinness is actually a terrible, terrible stout. Old Rasputin makes the contrast nice and clear.

But seriously Americans need to get over their pilsner/lager fetish. Scotch ales! Baltic porters! Russian imperials! Just go to College Wine and pick out the coolest looking bottle. That’s how it starts.