Guard your person! A menacing racoon perched atop a Pierson gate delayed foot traffic for several minutes last night. The animal eventually got down and ran away into the night, and traffic through the gate resumed.

Mischief afoot in Saybrook. In an email to Saybrook College students Tuesday, Operations Manager Ann Marie Acipella informed students that 45 percent of the dining hall’s new, larger mugs had gone missing since the beginning of the school year. She implored students to return mugs to the dining hall, adding that students could return them anonymously to the dining hall, “no questions asked.”

Your iPhone is so last spring. Apple announced its new line of iPhones and iPods on Tuesday, rendering obsolete smartphones across campus. The new iPhone 4S will retail for $199 and be on sale next Friday, Oct. 14.

More convenient teas. The Yale College Council announced in an email Tuesday that its website would now include a centralized calendar for each week’s Master’s Teas. Among this weeks guests are Monika Halan, a Yale World Fellow from India, and Christopher Shays, a former U.S. representative.

Speaking of Shays, the former congressman is expected to formally file paperwork today to declare his candidacy for the Republican nomination to the U.S. Senate seat to be vacated by U.S. Sen. Joseph Lieberman ’64 LAW ’67. He will be up against wrestling executive Linda McMahon in the Republican primary.

YCC cares about science, too. The Yale College Council announced the nine members of its new Science and Engineering Subcommittee. YCC Treasurer Archit Sheth-Shah ’13 will chair the committee, which is charged with “focusing specifically on those issues that impact science and engineering majors” in hopes of effecting “tangible change during the 2011-2012 school year.”

Get hungry, kids. The Undergraduate Organizations Fundraising Committee announced it has increased each student organization’s food allotment from $50 to $100.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1964 Yale Law School professor Fowler V. Harper challenges Connecticut’s anti-contraception law in the U.S. Supreme Court, arguing that “a man and his wife ought to be able to do as they please in bed.” Harper died in early 1965, but later that year his “right to privacy” doctrine would become a fundamental part of U.S. legal theory with the landmark 1965 case Griswold v. Connecticut.

THE YALE DAILY NEWS