Sam Tsui ’11 is currently “living the LA dream,” he told us in an interview Monday.

Two weeks after moving to Los Angeles to record music, Tsui was approached by the NBC show “The Sing-Off,” an a cappella talent competition. Tsui, just recently departing from the a cappella world here at Yale, agreed to work with the show as the “digital correspondent” for webisodes posted on their website. Being a newbie to Los Angeles, Tsui said that the show helped him get his bearings.

When asked how the groups on “The Sing-Off” compared to Yale a cappella groups, Tsui, a member of the Duke’s Men, responded: “a cappella has been growing these past years. There is an interconnectedness that Yale is just starting to tap into.” The groups appearing on the show range from Vocal Point, an all male university group from Brigham Young University to The Fannin Family (who were voted off Monday), a group of eight siblings from the Midwest.

Although far from Yale, Tsui is not the only Yalie involved with the show. Kevin Olusola ’11, a beatboxer with Pentatonix, is competing.

“On the first day of filming, I walked in as was like ‘hey! You’re here too!’” Tsui said.

Aside from the show, Tsui said he is just “generally pursuing music. I have a manager, which is very cool.”

The show premiered Monday and will be on NBC weekly at 8 p.m.