Stiles gets sculptural. “Lightweb,” an Alexander Liberman sculpture from the ’80s, was being installed Wednesday in between the “jock walk” and the college’s front gate.

Popcorn, anyone? After receiving reports of smoke in the basement of Bingham, three New Haven Fire Department trucks pulled up to Phelps Gate Wednesday at 6:42 p.m. As firefighters left the scene 10 minutes later, NHFD Lieutenant Mike Miller chalked up the smoke to “careless cooking” in a microwave.

Crash. New Haven police followed a stolen navy blue Mitsubishi SUV down Edgewood Avenue just after 6 p.m. on Tuesday. The perpetrators pulled into a driveway at 52 Edgewood near Howe Street, crashing the car into a brick wall and running off in different directions. Only one suspect was caught by police, according to NHPD Lieutenant Ray Hassett.

Summer’s over. Now it’s official. Atticus has replaced its watermelon granita offering with hot apple cider.

Members of the Office of Development’s event planning team worked to pitch a large white tent on Old Campus Wednesday and the Beinecke and Sterling Memorial libraries were lit up in preparation for the Yale Tomorrow thank you celebration for donors this weekend. Author-historian David McCullough’55 will deliver a lunchtime presentation about Yale’s role in American history to attendees during Saturday’s lunch on Old Campus.

Emmy gold. Garth Neustadter MUS ’12 won a Creative Arts Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Music Composition for a Series for his score to the PBS American Masters documentary “John Muir in the New World.”

Hail to the chief? Reggie Brown, a Barack Obama impersonator, will be making an appearance at Box 63 Friday night. The event is a collaboration between the restaurant and the Yale College Council. The Viola Question is opening.

Around the world. It’s World Fellows Night tonight at 5 p.m. at the Betts House located at 393 Prospect Street. “Get to know the global leaders of tomorrow,” a flyer for the event reads.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1966 Margaret Mead’s Anthropology 20 is the largest ever course in the college, with 562 students. In her first lecture, she says a primitive society over 500 is too big for one anthropologist to study.

YALE DAILY NEWS