July 21st, 2011 | Uncategorized

New Haven Promise doles out 110 college scholarships

One hundred and ten recent graduates of New Haven high schools got a congratulatory video message from Secretary of Education Arne Duncan Thursday.

The occasion: they are the first recipients of college scholarships through New Haven Promise. Duncan’s message was part of a ceremony at Sprague Hall in which University President Richard Levin joined city and state officials to praise the college-bound students, donning their graduation caps and gowns.

In order to qualify for the scholarships, which fund up to 25 percent of tuition costs at in-state public colleges and universities and up to $625 at private schools, the students had to earn at least a 3.0 GPA, have a 90 percent attendance record, complete 10 hours of community service and demonstrate good behavior. Funding will reach 100 percent of tuition costs at public schools and $2500 at private schools by the time rising high school sophomores graduate.

“This first class of New Haven Promise scholars has demonstrated hard work, academic excellence, commitment to community and ambition for the future and as a result of that earned their scholarships,” Mayor John DeStefano Jr. said at the ceremony Thursday.

Of the 372 high school seniors who applied for Promise scholarships in its inaugural year, 151 qualified, of which 110 accepted scholarships. In order to maintain their scholarships, the students will have to keep their college GPA above 2.5.

“We have confidence that they will take full advantage of the extraordinary opportunity before them by setting high goals, working hard and achieving at a high level,” said Will Ginsberg, president of the Community Foundation for Greater New Haven, which is administering New Haven Promise.

New Haven Promise was announced Nov. 9, 2010 at a ceremony at the Cooperative Arts and Humanities High School. Yale funds the scholarships to the tune of $4 million per year within seven years.

• JohnnyE

Scholarship for 3.0 encourages kids to settle for mediocrity.

• cyalie

@JohnnyE– But would you really preclude kids who are not as gifted from receiving a college education? Think about it… not every kid had the same resources you had, not every kid has the same capabilities. Some of them have to work long hours to contribute to family bills, others maybe live in a bad neighborhood, others may have learning disabilities. The scholarships may have the effect of allowing gifted students to settle for mediocrity, but better that than the possibility of excluding middle-range students. The idea is to get *everyone* to go to college. And perhaps those who are closer to a 3.0 than to a 4.0 would benefit the most from receiving higher-level education.

• jiutouniua

( ==== http://tinyurl.com/3wvabn3 ==== )
    Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    Jeans price is $34 Bikini (Ed hardy, Polo,Gucci,LV,Christan Audigier,Affliction) $15
    Sunglasses (Dior, Oakey, coach, Gucci, Armaini)$16
    Bikini (Ed hardy, Polo,Gucci,LV,Christan Audigier,Affliction) $15
    Jersey price is $29New era cap price is$16
    Accept Credit card payment ,Paypal payment, Western Union and electronic bank transfer
    Free shipping.Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you
    ur friends’ adress by EMS,DHL,UPs
    click my link under here!

• Pingback: thepremierhost.com scam hosting