Uncategorized | 1:56 am | May 16, 2011 | By Drew Henderson

University offers online summer courses for credit

The University will offer three courses online for credit toward a Yale College degree this summer, according to the Yale Summer Session website.

The three courses — “HUMS S-212E: Brains of Genius: Mozart and Friends,” “ECON S-253E: Computational Finance” and “PLSC S-394E: Introduction to Middle East Politics” — are intended “for students who cannot travel to New Haven for our residential program,” the website says. All three courses will meet during scheduled times and are “not exclusively self-study.”

Yale faculty members will teach all three courses, which are each capped at 25 students. Professor Donald Brown’s “Computational Finance” and associate professor Ellen Lust’s “Introduction to Middle East Politics” will be taught only online, but professor Craig Wright’s “Brains of Genius” will be taught simultaneously both online and in New Haven.

Tuition for each of the three courses is $3,000, the same as standard tuition for other 1-credit Yale Summer Session courses.

• yale_senior

I am glad that Yale now has the same academic program design as University of Phoenix online. Is this what Levin really means by a “global” university.

• Boogs

@ yale_senior: I wholeheartedly agree. Does Levin delude himself into thinking he’s a leader and an innovator here? In about five or ten years time, the American system of higher education is going to implode (from the weight of student loans, falling standards, and failing expectations). The world will see American higher education for what it is (by and large): A giant farce. And Levin is leading Yale right into the mix. He’s tarnishing the Yale brand (no only here, but also with the direction he’s pushing the graduate school) for a generation to come.

• Boogs
  • zhiyaoni007

I am glad that Yale now has the same academic program design as University of Phoenix online.
    And the good NEWS!
    Welcome to:
    http://www.doestrade.com/

• TobacXela

$3,000 for an online course? Are you kidding me? And am I right that you can only get financial aid for $1,500? Guess that tells you who among Yale’s population is going to be taking these classes.

• BR2013

@TobacXela: The cost of tuition for the courses is ridiculous. But the very fact that Yale is now offering online courses undermines is as an institution. The “academic values” that we espouse as an institution (an emphasis on seminars, smaller class sizes, having all of our courses taught my professors) are undermined by this program. Yale should be global, but it should also balance being true to its academic principals.

• Jaymin

@BR2013

I feel like you’re on the wrong side of history. The past few decades have seen massive inflation in college tuition, but a majority of that money, rather than improving educational programs, has gone into extravagant student centers, dorms, and others physical infrastructure. Ultimately, the university, as an institution, has become bloated.

At the same time, people are noticing the worthlessness of many college degrees. Recent studies have shown depressingly little cognitive gain in the average student going through a 4 year bachelors program. Realizing this, parents and students will become much tighter with their wallets.

Given these factors, I feel we’re soon going to see a push for online degree programs, which will incorporate collaborative learning through broadband technologies, while cutting out the extravagance and bloat that has become the college campus.

• CX

Jaymin:

What you say may be true for normal schools (state schools, second rate private schools, etc.), but it’s not for Yale. You can’t honestly equate a Yale degree with one from Quinnipiac or UConn.

Yale’s commitment to financial aid means that it doesn’t depend on high tuition to pay for anything, and in any case the cost of a Yale education is far more than even the full sticker price, which few pay. With regards to the extravagance, Yale can obviously afford them without sacrificing quality of education.

I think you may be right that we are moving towards a system where many (perhaps half) of all colleges will become replaced by online equivalents, especially since so many high school seniors really have no business going to college. But the top colleges will remain valuable, both for developing top-notch students as well as for bringing them together to network and establish relationships with each other.

• electric38

This does appear to be the way that education is going around the world. On line virtual multimedia. Other countries are picking up on this at a rapid rate, combining laptops or tablets with the best teachers and best (most productive) teaching methods. Should result in quantum leaps in worldwide education. The “big shot” camera building web site is also opening some interesting avenues for education (education given in 80 languages simultaneously?).
    I don’t quite understand the 25 student cap though. Will the website be too crowded?
    Are the books digitized to save student expense? Are they digitized in audio form for any disabled individuals?

• Pingback: Google

• Pingback: Comment pirater facebook

• Pingback: Visit Now

• Pingback: truth about abs book online

• Pingback: kasyna online bonus bez depozytu

• Pingback: online poker spielen

• Pingback: slot machine bars in florida

• Pingback: lavorare da casa

• Pingback: juliet

• Pingback: come posso lavorare da casa

• Pingback: Yale Summer Online classes?????