The Title IX investigation into Yale’s sexual climate has a prompted dialogue among college professors as to whether fraternities should be banned. The topic was the one on the table in a recent New York Times Room for Debate, the Times’ online roundtable series in which outside contributors discuss timely issues.

In addition to citing the Title IX complaint at Yale, the Times debate refers to the Delta Kappa Epsilon incident last fall when pledges chanted inflammatory remarks on Old Campus. The introduction to the debate also references a recent Wall Street Journal opinion piece by Caitlin Flanagan which argues that the Yale case exemplifies why fraternities should be outlawed on college campuses for the safety of women.

The questions that frame the Times debate are: “But should fraternities be singled out?…Are fraternity members really more apt than their male peers to tolerate sexist attitudes and sexual misbehavior? What role does drinking play, given its role in inciting aggression? Should colleges be doing more to prevent sexual offenses?” Debaters provide arguments that range from holding colleges accountable for fraternities’ actions to increasing alcohol awareness programs in Greek organizations.

Read more about other solutions proposed here.