Uncategorized | 12:40 am | April 26, 2011 | By Gavan Gideon

Q poster found vandalized

A poster for Yale’s LGBT-interest publication, Q, was found vandalized tonight in Branford College, Co-coordinator of the LGBTQ Co-op Ryan Mendías ’13 said.

Mendías said that he discovered the vandalism at 8:45 p.m. The poster, hung on a bulletin board, was marked with a homophobic slur. Additionally, the slogan “Love is queer” was changed to “Love is not queer.” Mendías took the poster down and immediately contacted the dean and master of Branford College.

Mendías expressed disappointment at how, even after a month dedicated to celebrating LGBTQ pride on campus, the community is not immune to acts of bigotry from some.

Asked about an expected response by administrators, Mendías explained that, at the very least, he hopes either the Branford master or dean will send out a strongly worded statement condemning the vandalism. Mendías compared this incident to a similar one in April when an LGBTQ Co-op poster was intentionally burned in Vanderbilt. Unlike the Vanderbilt incident, Mendías explained that this recently discovered vandalism is undeniably an act fueled by homophobia and deserves a stronger response.

Branford Master Steven Smith declined comment tonight.

A limp reaction to this harassment will fuel the fires of Title IX.

• Yale14

I’m sorry to say this, but love is not always queer. I was somewhat offended by the poster to begin with.

• mj_y13

Yale14, it’s not saying you have to be gay to be in love. It’s just saying that love is different from the norm. To me, the poster is about accepting all types of love. how can you be offended by that?

• hrsn

because, mj_y13, Yale14 isn’t you and read the text differently.

• Yale12

Yale14, it’s a bit pathetic for a straight person to be actually “offended” by a poster’s implication (one that was hardly explicit) that “all love is queer.” A bit like a white person getting up in arms over a declaration of black pride. People in the majority don’t like to have their ideas disrupted by the minority – who they can usually just ignore. Perhaps you should take a minute and think about how it feels to be a gay kid and have the message that “all love is straight” (and that queer love is not real love) be hammered into you every minute of every day, and compare that to the one time, with the one poster, where you had to briefly consider the opposite.

BTW, the poster wasn’t even trying to imply that all love was gay. Just that love is undefinable, strange – queer, if you will.