Yale professor and retired four-star general Stanley McChrystal is officially working with the Obama administration once again.

The New York Times reported Sunday that McChrystal will lead an advisory board called Joining Forces. The public service program will focus on providing support for military families, according to the article, striving “to encourage companies, schools, philanthropic and religious groups and local communities to recognize the unusual stress that is endured by families of active duty personnel, reservists and veterans, and to strive to meet their needs.”

In an e-mail to the News today, McChrystal wrote: “The key here is my desire to contribute in any way I can to helping America take care of Servicemembers and their families. One measure of what kind of society we truly are is how we take care of those who serve us all — so to me that responsibility is sacred.”

McChrystal formally retired late in July from his position as commander of American forces in Afghanistan after the Rolling Stone published a profile of him in which members of his staff made disparaging remarks about U.S. government leaders. In August, he began teaching a weekly 20-person seminar entitled “Leadership” as a part of Yale’s Jackson Institute for Global Affairs. McChrystal is currently teaching the course again this semester, and wrote to the News today that he finds his time teaching at Yale to be “deeply rewarding” and still intends to maintain his commitments at Yale in addition to his new role with Joining Forces, returning to teach at Yale next Fall and for at least three more years.