Uncategorized | 10:52 pm | April 11, 2011 | By Everett Rosenfeld

Higgins explains that he does not endorse YCC candidates

Katie_Donley_1
Photo by Everett Rosenfeld.

Yale Police Department Chief Ronnell Higgins does not and will not endorse any Yale College Council candidates.

This was his message in a series of emails and calls to the News Monday afternoon following a Cross Campus item about an ad for Katie Donley’s ’13 events director campaign featuring Higgins. In the ad, Higgins poses with Donley. Text underneath the image reads “Ronnell wants more fun with Katie.”

The photo was snapped during Saturday’s Freshman Olympics.

“Photos taken of me on Saturday at the Freshman Olympics were not intended to be an endorsement of any kind,” Higgins said in an e-mail to the News. “I had no idea any caption would be added. I thought the logo she was holding was representative of her [residential college] team.”

Donley said she had explicitly told Higgins that she was running for a YCC position, but she apologized for the apparent miscommunication during the hullabaloo of the events.

Higgins called the campaign advertisement “embarrassing,” but clarified that he was not mad at Donley. He just wanted to set the record straight that he would never endorse a candidate, he said.

Donley never considered the Higgins photo as an endorsement, she said, but rather a comical addition to her campaign’s Facebook page.

“I feel terrible about the situation,” she said. “I thought we were on the same page.”

The photo was removed from Donley’s Facebook page when she was notified by the News of Higgins’s displeasure. She suggested instead that interested students look for an online replacement picture of a 10 week-old golden retriever lab holding her “more” logo in its mouth.

• ROFLCOPTER

this is pretty loltastic

• cyalie

awkward.

• Leah

Consistent with federal reporting requirements I write to let you know that my image has been misappropriated near Old Campus on Sunday afternoon. Yale Police are continuing to seek further data on the culprit who, due to the mild weather, was not wearing a hooded sweatshirt.

• sabj

Whoa, more important question: Are there more photos of this super adorable golden retriever puppy? If so, where? This puppy should run for most adorable.

• River Tam

you have to be pretty stupid to mess up campaigning for YCC.

• jnewsham

You have to be pretty catty to slur someone over the conduct of their YCC campaign.

• River Tam

> You have to be pretty catty to slur someone over the conduct of their YCC campaign.

White Knight to the rescue, I see.

For the record, I don’t know and have never met Ms. Donley or any of her campaign managers.

• jnewsham

Oh, so you’re being a jerk without knowing her. That makes it better.

For the record, nor do I.