SILLIMAN CELEBRATES DINING RANKING WITH SILLIHATS

The Silliman Activities & Administrative Committee presented specially designed hats emblazoned with “Silliman Dining is #1” to its dining hall staff. Silliman was ranked first in surveys conducted by the News and Yale Dining Services.

It’s on. Candidacy statements for Yale College Council elections were due at 4 p.m. Thursday. Three students are running for president — Rustin Fakheri ’12, Brandon Levin ’13 and Jimmy Murphy ’13. See page five for a full list.

Futurist feast. Pierson Dean Amerigo Fabbri’s “Futurism: The Shock of the New” headed to the Silliman kitchen Thursday to sample items from Filippo Tommaso Marinetti’s “The Futurist Cookbook.” Dishes included Diabolical Roses (fried roses) and Surprise Bananas (a banana stuffed with chicken).

Moving on up. Six professors were selected for promotion at a Board of Permanent Officers meeting Wednesday, Yale College Dean Mary Miller told the News.

On your mark. The first intramural track meet is on for April 27 at Dwyer Track, head IM secretary Peter Jasinski ’12 said. This is the first semester track has been included as an IM sport.

Teach the world to sing. Students and faculty were spotted on Cross Campus Thursday filming a promo for the Yale Day of Service. The group — which included Michael Morand ’87 DIV ’93 of Yale’s Office of Public Affairs and Communication — was heard singing “I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing (In Perfect Harmony).” On May 14 Yalies around the world will participate in community service events.

Political science and philosophy professor Seyla Benhabib GRD ’77 was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship for her project “The Contested Future of Sovereignty: International Law and Democracy.”

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1964 Final preparations are made for University President Kingman Brewster’s inauguration set to take place during the coming weekend. At night, Ingalls Rink is decorated with flowers and lighting.

YALE DAILY NEWS