THE NEWS

• Mandi Schwartz ’11, the woman’s hockey player who inspired the campus, hockey world, and nation through her courageous battle with with cancer, died April 3.

The small town girl from Wilcox in Saskatchewan, Canada, was known among her teammates as the hardest worker on the ice, and one of Yale’s kindest, most genuine community members off it. Schwartz played 73 consecutive games in an Eli uniform. She left campus and Ingalls Rink during her junior year, after doctors diagnosed her with acute myeloid leukemia.

• Nestled in a corner of the Hall of Graduate Studies,the Graduate Teaching Center is looking to broaden its reach beyond the Graduate School. On Friday about 100 graduate students and professors attended the center’s 13th annual Spring Teaching Forum, where panels of faculty members discussed strategies for giving effective lectures. Bill Rando, director of the Graduate Teaching Center, said that the forum is traditionally the only occasion when he works with faculty members. But this year, the center has branched out to include junior faculty in some of its programming, said Deputy Provost for Faculty Development Frances Rosenbluth, adding that she will consider other ways to expand the center’s influence on teaching at Yale.
  • An LGBTQ Coop poster on awhiteboard in Vanderbilt Hall was intentionally burned Friday night, initiating an investigation by both the Yale Police Department and the New Haven Fire Marshal, according to Berkeley Master Marvin Chun.

THE WEATHER

High of 52 degrees, low of 49 degrees, rain.

THE FOOD

Menus not available.

YALE DAILY NEWS