For the second week in a row the gymnastics team traveled to compete in a difficult environment, scoring an unusually low 183.600 to place behind Rutgers’ 190.350, and the home-team Towson’s season-high 193.400.

1,027 fans crowded the Towson Center last Friday night for the senior day competition. They watched the Towson Tigers extend their win streak to 18, finishing the season with just one loss – tied for the school record. Their one loss came January 21 to Maryland.

It was the third time the Bulldogs faced the Rutgers Scarlet Knights this season, and the second time in two weeks, but it would not be lucky or the charm. Captain Sherry Yang ’11 explained that after a relatively strong start on the uneven parallel bars, a series of unexpected falls on the floor exercise, traditionally the Elis’ strongest event, put them behind and also set the tone for the rest of the competition.

“There were a lot of flukes… really weird falls. I think it shook everyone up,” Yang said.

However, she said that facing tough competition away from home over the break has been good for the team, as they prepare for the ECAC Championship at Brown this Saturday. Towson will again be the team to beat, as they try for their seventh championship in a row.

Tara Feld ’13, who suffered an abdominal tear more than five weeks ago, may return to competition for the Championship. She has been the team’s anchor for several areas of competition, and Yang said that her participation in the meet could raise the overall team score significantly.

But what the captain said she would really like to see, is a complete team effort where everyone puts forth their best effort on the same day.

“Every single one of the girls are great athletes,” Yang said, “and now we have a chance to show everybody what we’re capable of.”

For more information on Friday’s meet at Towson, click here.