After an earthquake of magnitude 8.9 hit the Pacific coast of Japan Friday, all registered students and faculty who were in the country are safe, University Secretary Linda Lorimer wrote in an email to the Yale community this afternoon.

Nineteen students from the School of Management who are on a spring break trip in Tokyo, led by professor of operations research Arthur Swersey, are safe and plan to continue their trip, the New Haven Register reported.

The group was visiting Nissan Motors just outside Tokyo when the earthquake hit, Swersey told the Register in an e-mail, adding that they “got under the tables as a precaution” before leaving the building.

He told the Register that he and the students are safe and will return to the U.S. at the end of this week.

Lorimer said she is worried about members of the Yale community who traveled to Japan outside of “formal Yale programs,” including the Light Fellowships, as these people may not have been accounted for. She added that counseling and mental health services will be available to assist students or faculty with family or friends in Japan.

The Institute for Sacred Music will be conducting a relief fund-raising effort during its concert on March 26, Lorimer said.

Correction: March 21, 2011

A previous version of this post quoted a New Haven Register article that misreported the number of students from the School of Management in Japan. There were 27.

DANIEL SISGOREO