No. 7 Millie Tomlinson ’14 did not disappoint in Sunday’s CSA Individual Championships final. The freshman played her best squash to defeat the No. 1 player in the country, Laura Gemmell, in straight games for the national crown.

Gemmell has been a dominant force in women’s squash since she entered intercollegiate play last year. She won the Ramsay Cup as a freshman and today’s match was her first intercollegiate loss.

“It was a very difficult draw this year, with many international players and I was fortunate enough to be able to beat both the number two and number one seeds,” Tomlinson said. “I went into the final with the intention of just enjoying the moment, and I was lucky enough to come out with a win.”

Gemmell has looked susceptible this year as she was pushed to five games by Trinity’s No. 2 Catalina Pelaez and Yale’s No. 3 Logan Greer ’11.

However, Tomlinson would not be fazed by Gemmell’s impressive record and was riding the confidence of upsetting the No. 2 seed, Pelaez, in straight games yesterday.

Tomlinson got off to a 4–1 lead to reach 10 points first. However, Gemmell called on her experience to tie the game score, 10–10. Tomlinson won the next two points and the game, 12–10. The second game was more typical of Tomlinson’s season as she beat her opponent with a variety of shots and took the game 11–3.

In the third and final game, Tomlinson got off to another lead, but Gemmell fought back to come within one point of the freshman, 10-9. However, Gemmell hit the red stripe on the next point to give Tomlinson the Ramsay Cup victory.

Tomlinson is the first women’s squash freshman to win an individual title, and the team’s fifth overall.