Uncategorized | 1:34 pm | February 28, 2011 | By Susannah Albert-Chandhok

Teas of the week: Finance, the environment and literature

With Spring Break only a week away, you only have a few more days to catch some interesting master’s teas.

If you are interested in global finance, you will want to head over at 4 p.m. on Monday to Trumbull to see Stephen Roach who is the Chairman of Morgan Stanley Asia, the Chief Economist at Morgan Stanley, and a senior lecturer at the Yale School of Management. And don’t be scared to share your opinion with Roach: the tea is meant to encourage debate. The tea will be co-sponsored by the Yale Business Society.

Do your interests span both history and the environment? If so, head over to Davenport also at 4 p.m. on Monday to see William Cronon, the President-Elect of the American Historical Association and the Frederick Jackson Turner Professor of History at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Cronon will speak on “Exploring Environmental History: Creating a New Academic Field.”

And if you can’t get enough global finance after Stephen Roach’s master’s tea, you may want to go to Pierson Wednesday at 4 p.m. to see Andrés Velasco, Chile’s former Minster of Finance and current fellow at the Center for International Development at Harvard University speak about “Steering an Economy: Chile and Latin America during the World Financial Crisis.”

Finally, for the literary sect, Saybrook is hosting a tea with editors of n+1 Tuesday at 5 p.m. The subject of the tea is “How (Not) To Start A Little Magazine.” English professor Amy Hungerford will also participate.

• BaruchAtta

@Stephen Roach :Chairman of Morgan Stanley Asia, the Chief Economist at Morgan Stanley, and a senior lecturer at the Yale School of Management

The main US method of taxation is to tax production. Better to tax consumption.
    Income tax, Cap gains tax, business tax, all add to the cost of manufacturing production. These and other forms of tax and costs make manufacturing in the US more expensive. It’s well known that most manufacturing jobs have gone overseas due to the higher cost of business in the US.
    However, a flat sales tax that is large enough to compensate (“pay for”) the elimination of such production taxes would promote the return of manufacturing and the jobs associated with it. A flat sales tax would also happily apply to imported goods, raising the price of imported goods and backhandedly apply the costs to the overseas manufacturers. A flat sales tax would benefit the balance of payments deficit to foreign countries.
    A fair flat sales tax would be effectively neutral to the average consumer, costing the taxpayer the same in consumption tax as currently is paid in income taxes.

Doesn’t anyone get this? We need better incentives to create manufacturing “opportunities” in the USA. Adjusting the tax scheme would do a lot to move the advantage from Asia back to the US.

• Pingback: URL

• Pingback: هوامير المملكة

• Pingback: leilighet til salg Alanya

• Pingback: Afterburn Fuel Mike Chang

• Pingback: Hi Guess the Food

• Pingback: απεντόμωση

• Pingback: http://exercises-for-bingo-wings.tumblr.com/

• Pingback: IRA

• Pingback: antoine magnan

• Pingback: 網頁設計

• Pingback: Laptoptasche 1

• Pingback: alpha capital jack bloom reviews

• Pingback: The Tao of Badass

• Pingback: Just HookUp Reviews

• Pingback: english premier league

• Pingback: Twitter Home