Uncategorized | 10:33 pm | February 24, 2011 | By James Lu

Jack Wills store coming to York Street

lu_jackwillis-1
Photo by James Lu.

Another preppy clothing retailer will be coming to town in the coming months.

The British-based Jack Wills will be opening a store between the J. Press and Gant stores on York St., according to window signs posted Thursday morning.

Though none of the company’s executives could be reached for comment, Jim Fitzgerald, the manager of J. Press, said he has known about the incoming store for about two months.

Fitzgerald said that though he would have preferred a different store that complements J. Press for women, it was good to have the space filled.

“It’s certainly no competition – it’s geared to different, younger clientele,” he said. “It’s more competition for Gant, J. Crew and Urban Outfitters.”

Staff at Gant, J. Crew and Urban Outfitters declined to comment.

Online retail prices of a typical oxford button-down shirt are $60, $90 and $125 at J. Crew, Jack Wills and Gant respectively.

Yalies might also be able to work at the new Jack Wills store — the company is seeking people to fill sales associate positions at the New Haven store online.

And Jack Wills is already involved with Yale sports: since 2008, it has sponsored an annual Harvard-Yale polo match in the United Kingdom. Harvard won last June’s match 7 to 5.5.

Jack Wills opened their first United State store in Boston last October.

Sharon Yin contributed reporting.

• smartypants79

Oy! What about a store that people can afford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sillitar13

Damn not this again!

I don’t know who thought this was a good idea. I don’t even know anyone who shops at Gant.

• roganjosh

If you don’t like shopping at Gant, just go to J Press or Enson’s. What’s the big deal?

• georgeyandell

Their first stores opened on Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard last summer (2010), and its nothing like Gant or J. Crew. Its like nothing in the USA as its authentically British… and Fabulously so!