The cost of Yale College tuition, room and board will pass the $50K mark next year, with charges totaling $52,700, a University press release announced Monday. Students passing through Commons shared their opinions on the new term bill, which represents a 5.8% increase over last year’s bill of $49,800.

“I have a lot of loans already, due to tuition. [The increase] would possibly change my financial situation and my financial planning for the future.”

• Edward Ewell ’12

“I took out some financial aid for university already, but it’s not enough to cover my expenses as it is. I understand a Yale University education transcends a price tag, but a hike in tuition certainly will affect me. When I got accepted to this university, people told me, ‘It’s expensive, but it’s worth it.’ The value of my education is more than cash. But I have to pay for it in cash. And I don’t have the cash to pay for it.”

• Angharad Rebholz ’14

“Well, I think it’s a ridiculous amount of money to pay, but I’m on financial aid so it doesn’t affect me that much. But I have a lot of friends in the middle class for whom 3,000 more dollars a year will probably be a lot.

• Carissa Youse ’13

“I’m a senior, so it doesn’t really affect me. But I think setting a number like $50,000 doesn’t mean that much. [The tuition] usually goes up around 5% a year. It always goes up. I don’t see it as that big a deal.”

• Henry Foote ’11