In an interview with the News Friday afternoon, Gov. Mitch Daniels of Indiana said he’s a fan of the advertisement produced by the Yale-born student movement to draft him for president.

“I thought the ad was very clever,” he said, adding that he watched it Thursday on an iPhone. “It raises the issue of our time, and it comes from the most appropriate source: from young people … No one’s going to be done a greater injustice than the young people of our country, on whom an avalanche of debt that they did not incur themselves is about to be deposited. So I’m just thrilled that the young people are raising this issue in this way, and I would be if it had nothing to do with me.”

The ad features Courtney Pannell ’11 complaining that she had been duped by a man (who the ad suggests is President Barack Obama) who bought her a car and subsidized her medical coverage.

“Everything was perfect, until I got my credit card bill,” Pannell says in the ad. “Turns out he was spending all my money! Now there’s a new man in my life — Mitch Daniels. He doesn’t need to rely on fancy rhetoric or empty promises. You know what he’s all about? Fiscal responsibility.”

Since the student group posted the ad to their Facebook page late Wednesday evening, it has swept through the political blogosphere and amassed over 7,500 views on YouTube. The ad, which the group says is the first of the 2012 presidential election, will air in Iowa, New Hampshire and Indiana, according to the Facebook post.