January 15th, 2011 | Uncategorized

Penn’s LGBT community reaches out to prefrosh

The University of Pennsylvania is reaching out to potential members of its LGBT community before they even reach Philadelphia.

Penn started the program last spring, when members of Penn’s LGBT community contacted accepted students who self-identified as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender, the Daily Pennsylvanian reported. Last year, 60 regular decision applicants were contacted, but this year the program is expanding to include those who are accepted early.

Under the program, application readers “flag” applicants who identified themselves as LGBT, considered themselves a strong ally to the community or had LGBT parents. Then, once they are accepted, these students are assigned to members of Penn’s LGBT umbrella organization, who send them a personal e-mail.

The purpose of the program is to let pre-freshmen know about “resources on campus and ways to connect with LGBT and ally communities,” said Regional Director of Admissions and LGBT liason Jordan Pascucci in an e-mail to the Daily Pennsylvanian.

Not everyone is clear on the nature of the initiative, however. Some college counselors believe the program to give an advantage to the “flagged” students in the admissions process, when it is really part of an effort to encourage LGBT students to apply to the University.

Bob Schoenberg, director of Penn’s LGBT Center, told the Daily Pennsylvanian that there has been a noticeable increase in LGBT applicants in the early decision round.

• dalet5770

Yale began as a men’s college. Heck I swam with Johnny Weissmuller (The first Tarzan) at the Payne Whitney and remember when Yale started accepting women, we begrudgingly accepted it. When Yale began raising women’s issues to the forefront we accepted it. When the State of Connecticut issued its ruling on same sex marriage Yalies started to grumble – how come we had a college that was dedicated to a same sex education and we were forced to admit women and now we find our selves in a position of being subservient to women and women’s issues. Must we now accept the Lesbian component and will Yale eventually become a women’s college. How could this happen? How can we stand once again for women once again when we know there are 60 women’s colleges in the US and we can’t liberate Yale as a men’s college again

• dalet5770

All I can say is thank God Johnny Appleseed is not an uppity Negroid woman but I am sure we can rewrite any fairy tale. Right MS Mark Twain?