On your mark, get set, go! Shopping period begins today.

Freak out! Students reported difficulties accessing Online Course Selection and Online Course Information Sunday evening. The programs were moving slowly or not working at all, but the issues with OCS and OCI were resolved as of 12 a.m., according to the ITS Systems website.

A plane from Philadelphia to New Haven carrying at least half a dozen Yalies was struck by lightning Friday. After an emergency landing at Long Island MacArthur Airport, passengers were bused to Connecticut. Yalies were dropped off on the corner of York and Elm streets.

Tough love. An excerpt from Yale Law School professor Amy Chua’s book “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother” was published in the Wall Street Journal Saturday. It describes how strict Chinese parenting techniques produce high-achieving children; it has generated over 1,700 comments.

More snow is on its way. According to AccuWeather.com, a winter storm is brewing and will likely hit the Northeast in the middle of the week. The storm will move upwards from the South, where it has already wreaked havoc.

One of the “Girls.” “Girls,” an HBO pilot starring Allison Williams ’10, was picked up by the network, Deadline Hollywood reported.

No college seminar for you. Students can now enroll in only one college seminar, as opposed to two in previous years. In addition, students could only apply to two this semester rather than three. “The reason for the reduction is that we have, as planned, a smaller number of seminars scheduled for the spring,” Associate Dean of Academic Affairs George Levesque said.

Going to Carolina. A new men’s tennis tournament, set to take place the same time as New Haven’s Pilot Pen did in past years, will be held in Winston-Salem, N.C. Aug. 21-27, the Associated Press reported last month.

Yale is getting some street cred. Queens grafitti artists painted a mural near John F. Kennedy International Airport with the mascots of every Ivy League school, including the bulldog. “Pretty much, we just painted it as a tribute to our Ivy League education,” one member wrote in an e-mail.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

2005 Administrators meet with students to organize the campus’ response to the South Asian tsunami.

YALE DAILY NEWS