December 2nd, 2010 | Uncategorized

Miller ’12 readying West Point application

Katie Miller ’12 wants to leave Yale and go back to the United States Military Academy at West Point, the Associated Press reported.

Miller, a lesbian, transferred to Yale this year because of the military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy. Nonetheless, the article explained, Miller is currently preparing her application to return to West Point. She wants to be ready should Congress act swiftly to repeal the policy.

In an August interview with the News, Miller stated outright that she intended to return to the military service and to West Point, if at all possible.

[via Wall Street Journal]

• JacksonJackson

I am sympathetic to her conundrum. DADT is a stupid, cruel policy. But there is a serious issue here: West Point has an honor code that rejects lying (“I will not lie, cheat, or steal…”), and she lied constantly to hide her orientation, thus violating the code. You could say it was for an understandable reason, but that kind of relative thinking does not play well at places like West Point.

• 11

The Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy (or more specifically, how it’s been enforced) requires lying. This is not Katie’s fault, or the fault of anyone else at a service academy.

• River Tam

> But there is a serious issue here: West Point has an honor code that rejects lying (“I will not lie, cheat, or steal…”), and she lied constantly to hide her orientation, thus violating the code.

I don’t think this is true (and I’m ambivalent on DADT as a matter of policy). It is not a conduct violation to conceal one’s orientation, no more than it is a conduct violation to conceal other private details of one’s lives.

DADT made it explicitly disallowed to *share* said orientation.

• RexMottram08

She is far more trouble than her service is worth. Send her to the Peace Corps instead.

• Ad Valorem

funny thing is it’s all about HER. Isn’t service about serive? Can you imagine her LEADING TROOPS? DIRECTING OTHERS? where’s the credireadirectibility?
    me me me me em!

• cncernedcitizen

One of Katie’s best efforts…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro6LNyuobeY