Sports | 11:31 am | November 23, 2010 | By Max de la Bruyere

BOOLA BOOLA | Reising gives update on condition; expected out of hospital Tuesday

Linebacker Jesse Reising ’11, who left The Game on a stretcher after colliding helmet to helmet with Harvard running back Gino Gordon, has been in the hospital since an ambulance drove him away from Harvard Stadium. On Monday evening, he exchanged emails with the News about his condition.

Q: Is there a diagnosis? Is it a concussion?

A: I appreciate that the Yale community, football family, and others have been very supportive of my efforts towards a full and speedy recovery.

Right now, my nerves aren’t firing to my right arm like they’re supposed to. However, I still have too much swelling in my neck and shoulder for the doctors to reach any conclusions yet. Three weeks from now, I’ll have more tests done to determine whether I tore some nerves, and possibly have them reattached 3 months from now. However, I’m making rapid progress in regaining motor functions, and I expect a full recovery.

Q: What’s the last thing you remember before the hit?

A: I remembered breaking on the ball when Harvard’s quarterback threw it. Once Gordon caught the ball, I knew that I had him lined up to deliver a big hit. I tried to put my helmet on the ball to knock the ball out, but apparently he lowered his head right before I hit him. I don’t think I was ever unconscious, but my nerves weren’t quite responding like they were supposed to, and I couldn’t move. I asked the medical staff whether my arm looked like it was dislocated, whether it was a knock-back tackle, and whether I got the ball out. It was a class act by Gordon to make sure I was all right, especially since I was the one who delivered the hit. Not until the next day did I find out that the referees had called a penalty on me.

Q: How long do you expect to be in the hospital?

A: When the neck or spinal cord is involved in an injury, medical personnel is going to take as many precautions as possible. The plan is to be released from the hospital the afternoon of Tuesday, November 23.

Q: How are you feeling generally?

A: Nerve injuries tend to be the most painful type of injury, but pain is good news because it indicates that the nerves are connected and recovering.

We all know the risks involved when we put on our pads and go out onto the football field. Injuries happen, and some are more serious than others. I’m glad to hear that Gordon was not seriously injured, and I’m thankful that I wasn’t injured worse than I was. That being said, I would never hesitate to put my body on the line for my teammates, and I have no regrets.

• YaleFan2011

Students like Jesse Reising are the reason why more Yalies should care about our teams and our athletes. Our players put their physical and mental health on the line to honor the traditions of our incredible institution. As Yale students, we should aspire to the selflessness of our athletes. As Jesse said, “I would never hesitate to put my body on the line for my teammates, and I have no regrets.” Happy to hear that he’s recovering.

• YaleAlum09

Not to mention, this kid is in the running for the Draddy Trophy – the highest honor a football player can receive in the country. Great, humble kid and I’m glad he’s doing ok. Guys like this remind us that its wrong to judge football players, like so many of us do on campus. This kid crushes most of us in nearly all aspects of life (academics, athletics, socially, etc.).

• Byggvir

“I would never hesitate to put my body on the line for my teammates”–that attitude is admirable in, say, a war zone, but it doesn’t make sense in the context of a game. Thank goodness Reising is okay, but would he still be talking this way if he had sustained a permanent disability? If so, his world-view is distorted.

• YaleAlum10

Byggvir, you make me sick. Go back to Europe and take your skinny jeans and techno music with you.

• eliyale2012

Despite what Jesse is willing to admit publicly, every doctor he has met with has indicated that his injuries will be permanent.

• RexMottram08

Pain is temporary, Pride is forever.

Yale salutes you, Jesse!

• Bear

Byggvir- You have obviously never played on a competive sports team, because if you had, you would be able to relate to what Jesse is saying. When you go through hell with your teamates and beat the crap out of each other every day in practice, and see guys play through broken arms and legs (Larry Abare and Jake Koury in 2010), it creates a bond that you can’t describe. Those timid souls that choose to stand outside the competitive arena of contact sports cannot relate to that bond, so I would rather you just keep your mouth shut and keep your opinions to yourself. I sure as heck don’t miss running into people like you when I went to Yale.