Chemicals used to produce dimethyltryptamine (crystal meth) were found in a Georgetown dorm room. Georgetown’s undergraduate newspaper, The Hoya, reported that officials were summoned to deal with the hazardous materials just after 5 a.m. Saturday. The two freshmen whose room was raided could each face up to $1 million in fines and 20 years in prison.

Sing out! If the plethora of a cappella concerts during Family Weekend wasn’t enough, singers Jeanmarie Rivera and Glen Masso of local performance group The Signature Band sang on Broadway Friday and Sunday. They serenaded the masses of students and parents with songs like “Feel Like Makin’ Love” by Roberta Flack.

Want a bigger brain? Have a baby. A team of researchers comprised of members from the Yale School of Medicine has found that new mothers’ brains get bigger after giving birth, according to Bloomberg News.

Wicked brass. Yale School of Music students were in Quincy, Mass., Saturday, according to local news website Wicked Local. They gave an “informal seminar on brass” instruments at a library and performed selected works in their repertoire.

Bills, bills, bills. According to a report from the Project on Student Debt, members of the class of 2009 had an average of $24,000 in student loan debt across the United States.

A cappella overload. Both the 8:30 p.m. and 10:15 p.m. Duke’s Men and Mixed Company concerts were so popular the Branford Dining Hall was filled to capacity. The fire marshal had to turn nearly half of the eager a cappella enthusiasts away.

In other a cappella news, The Whiffenpoofs will perform on the second season of NBC’s “The Sing Off,” reported Entertainment Weekly Thursday. Scheduled to air Dec. 6, 10 a cappella groups will compete for a $100,000 prize and a Sony Music recording contract.

Ahoy matey! A man dressed as a pirate, complete with jewelry and a headwrap, entered Bass Library Sunday and talked with Yalies in the Thain Family Cafe. A security guard escorted him out of the library, but he was spotted on Cross Campus later in the day.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1996 Sen. Joseph Lieberman ’64 LAW ’67 tells an audience that includes foreign correspondents in Linsly-Chittenden Hall that he thinks the fairest way to select men for the Armed Forces is a national lottery.

YALE DAILY NEWS