Uncategorized | 7:24 pm | October 25, 2010 | By Danny Serna

Conn. gets $121 mil for high speed rail

The state has received $121 million in federal funding for a high speed rail line from New Haven to Springfield, Mass., U.S. Sen. Christopher Dodd and other top state politicians announced today at a press conference at the Meriden train station.

In addition to the $121 million, the project has received $260 million from the state Bond Committee and $40 million in federal stimulus money, a combined total of $421 million. The line will run through Hartford, and continue to Vermont and Montreal, NBC reported.

Correction: October 25, 2010

An earlier version of this post misstated the name of the rail line. It is a high speed rail not a light rail.

• wtf

Why Springfield and not something useful like New York or Boston?

• Undergrad

We already have high speed rail to New York and Boston (although admittedly it could be faster). Also, note that Hartford (potentially much more useful) is on the line, as well as Montreal. Expanding rail service to new cities is a great way to increase ridership, not only on the new lines but also on existing ones, reducing traffic on highways and carbon emissions.

• Undergrad

Also, the Bradley airport would be right on the line, making it much easier to get to Yale from the airport.

• reallynotafan

@Undergrad, Bradley is not “right on” the NHV-Hartford-Springfield line. Travelers would be forced to take a bus or taxi to the airport from the Windsor Locks station, a monumental design flaw.

• Josh

The Amtrak Acela as a high speed rail is simply laughable. What…80 mph? Most European trains travel near 200 mph, regularly. The problem is the railroads being used. They are not designed for such high speed travel.

• MikeC

@Josh: Much more than 80 mph. The old, busted trains that Metro-North runs on the New Haven line routinely hit 90+ on straightaways. The problem with Acela is not the trains themselves, but the tracks. Some segments are not yet ready for 100 mph+ travel.

@wtf: Washington – New York – New Haven – Boston is already the most heavily trafficked passenger train route in the United States.