Things got a little heated Wednesday morning at Mason Laboratory on Hillhouse. A small fire broke out in a furnace that had been left on in associate research scientist Sungchul Lee’s lab. The furnace burnt a four-inch hole in a wooden table, but no experiment was in progress and no one was injured.

A crowd of about 50 professors and students gathered outside waiting to be let back in as firefighters extinguished the fire with a white powder and then used water to cool down the furnace. Stuart Gottlieb’s international studies class dispersed when it became clear the alarm was not a drill. Another professor carried on: “The search for knowledge knows no bounds,” said physics chair Douglas Stone.

The Saybrook suites that were disturbed by an intruder early last Thursday morning will have bedroom locks installed. (A student has come forward and admitted to entering the suites.) The University approved campus-wide installation of bedroom locks in 2008 but has yet to install the locks in all 12 colleges.

Sillimander Oluwadamilola Oladeru ’11 was named one of the top 10 college women of the year by Glamour magazine. She was highlighted for her passion for medicine and her desire to serve as the minister of health in her native Nigeria.

Former President Bill Clinton LAW ’73 will be in New Haven on Sunday to support his law school classmate, U.S. Senate candidate and Connecticut attorney general Richard Blumenthal LAW ’73, at a rally at Wilbur Cross High School.

Several off-campus residences on Howe Street and Edgewood Avenue, as well as the Pizza House, lost power in Wednesday night’s flash thunderstorm.

Saybrook is hosting another Viva’s Night this Friday, but this time, the formerly free event will cost students $2.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1880 The game of tops is all the rage, the News reports, but “the supply of top spinning is not equal to the demand, the lower classmen not being able to get any.”