Clocking in with a 10-minute mile, University President Richard Levin placed 1,883rd in Monday’s New Haven Road Race, a 5K run through the city starting at the Green.

Play that funky music. Monday late in the afternoon, a man was spotted serenading students on Elm Street as they walked to and from class. He was playing a keyboard out of a parked turquoise hatchback. Does New Haven have a town troubadour just like Stars Hollow?

Though classes met on Labor Day, many parts of the University were closed, including master’s offices, the Yale HEALTH pharmacy, the post office, Froyo World and — to the chagrin of many midday shoppers — Durfee’s, Uncommon and the Bass café.

Speaking of going hungry, while Yalies lament the, um, reimagination of the salad bars in most residential college dining halls, the salad bars were recently restored at Southern Connecticut State University following a general student outcry.

A list is circulating among seniors detailing the happy hour deals for each day of the week in New Haven. Tonight’s specials: $2 drinks at BAR, and $5 pitchers and two-for-one burgers at Black Bear.

Also on tap tonight, Karl Rove will headline the Yale Political Union debate in the Law School auditorium at 7 p.m. The resolution: “Repeal Obamacare.”

Any ’Hounies in da house? Calhoun College does not have enough people running to fill its available slots on the Yale College Council, Freshman Class Council and Sophomore Class Council, the YCC executive board said in an e-mail late Monday. Pierson has some uncontested positions as well.

They may be really desperate, because some students reported receiving the e-mail twice. Elections will be held online between Thursday at 9 a.m. and Friday at 9 p.m.

After months of construction, the plaza next-door to the Yale Rep leading to the outdoor patio of Scoozi Trattoria has finally been cleared of construction materials.

Remember to wake up early tomorrow to get a good discussion section! Some sections are already open, but students will be able to sign up for many more starting Wednesday at 9 a.m.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1942 Dane Evans, an auburn-haired Broadway talent, is “imported especially for the Yale Dramat’s forthcoming production of the ‘Spider.’ ”

Submit tips to Cross Campus: crosscampus@yaledailynews.com

Correction: Sept. 7, 2010

An earlier version of the first item in today’s Cross Campus, using official records from the New Haven Road Race 5K website, reported that University President Richard Levin finished the 3.1-mile route at a pace of 10:09 minutes per mile. Levin, though, told the News he clocked in at 29:57, for a 9:40 mile pace, and attributed the discrepancy to the 95 seconds it took him to reach the starting line.