Sparking a national debate: Katherine Miller ’12, the gay West Point cadet who transferred to Yale College to protest the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, has captured the attention news outlets nationwide — and on Wednesday, her story appeared on the the front page of The New York Times.

“The resignation this month of Katherine Miller … has turned a spotlight on the hidden gay culture here and revived debate on campus about ‘don’t ask, don’t tell,’ at a time when Washington is also focused on the issue,” wrote the Times’ Corey Kilgannon.

In recent weeks, Miller has also been featured on MSNBC’s “The Rachel Maddow Show” and in The Huffington Post.

On Wednesday, Miller will begin her career at Yale as a junior in Morse College.

Miller told the Times that she decided to leave West Point because she could no longer conceal her homosexuality.

“It was a whirlpool of lies — I was violating the honor code every time I socialized,” Miller told The New York Times.

While at West Point, the sociology major from Findlay, Ohio, anonymously blogged about the academy’s hidden gay culture. Using the pseudonym “Private Second Class Citizen,” Miller wrote about how she endured gay slurs and fabricated her dating history in order to conceal her homosexuality.

In her resignation letter, Miller wrote that she had lied to her classmates and compromised her integrity by adhering to military policy and that she was “no longer willing to suppress an entire portion of (her) identity any longer.”