Yale played a part in stopping Adam Wheeler, 23, a former Cantab accused of defrauding Harvard, from enacting further fraudulent schemes.

After Harvard had begun investigating Wheeler last fall, he applied to Yale and Brown universities in January, falsely stating that he was interning at a hospital at the time. The Yale admissions office noticed that “some things in the application didn’t seem entirely to add up,” Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Jeff Brenzel told The Boston Globe on Wednesday.

“When we have that instinct, we will call a school to simply check a few facts to make sure the application is accurate,’’ Brenzel said. “It’s at the admission officer’s discretion, and we certainly encourage them to be vigilant for signs of discrepancies.”

According to prosecutors at Wheeler’s arraignment on Tuesday, Yale called Wheeler’s parents, who then made their son tell the caller that he had lied in his application and that he had been expelled from Harvard, the Globe reported Tuesday.

“That is the only reason Mr. Wheeler stopped his scheme,” Assistant Middlesex District Attorney John Verner said at the hearing.

Wheeler appeared in court for his arraignment and is currently being held on a $5,000 bail.