The Princeton University’s Undergraduate Student Government election has one thing in common with the Yale College Council election: the extension of a filing deadline for candidates. After pushing back the application deadline for three positions from last Monday to last Wednesday, the number of candidates in Princeton’s USG race nearly doubled, according to an article published this week in the Daily Princetonian.

The application deadline for students wanting to run for Class of 2012 treasurer, Class of 2013 vice president and U-Councilor, was extended because the majority of USG races were uncontested. The extension caused the three positions to be the most contested races. Five students each are running for Class of 2012 treasurer and for Class of 2013 vice president. Twenty-two candidates are running for 10 U-Councilor seats.

A few days before the election, YCC extended the application for Junior Class Council president because Justine Kolata ’12 was the only candidate running. In the end, Kolata decided to switch back to the YCC vice president position for which she had originally planned to run in after three students filed their application with the required 100 signatures. Angie Ramirez ’12 won JCC president with 41.58 percent of the vote.

Princeton’s USG election closed today at noon.