April 7th, 2010 | Uncategorized

Census notches 94.6 percent participation

Davenport College, above, was the college with the lowest U.S. Census participation rate — 89.8 percent.
Davenport College, above, was the college with the lowest U.S. Census participation rate — 89.8 percent. Photo by Brianne Bowen.

With the promise of study breaks and, in some cases, the threat of withholding dining hall access, 4,545 undergraduates were counted in the 2010 census on Tuesday. Ezra Stiles College had the highest participation rate (98.9 percent), and Davenport had the lowest (89.8 percent). “We’re going to get that last 5 percent tomorrow,” census coordinator David Broockman ’11 said.

• anon

go get that 5%, david.

• Davenport ’11

When did the YDN become a mouthpiece for the US Census Bureau? Pathetic.

• Y’11

I know a lot of the “participants” actually just turned in empty forms sealed in the envelope. The $5000 fine is a scare tactic and a gross misinterpretation of the current law. The government can fine you $100 at most…and when was the last time it successfully fined anyone? Personally, I think it’s really stupid to FORCE college students to fill out their census on campus. For one, I don’t have a permanent address here. Second, I am a registered voter at home, not in Connecticut. Since representation is determined by the census, CT effectively stole my vote. Also, I did not to public school in New Haven, so I don’t see why it should get a disproportionally higher amount of funding just because it is situated in a college town. Once again, it’s all about the cities and small towns in America get shafted.

David Brockman, good luck getting that last 5%. You’re going to need it.

• SM’94

Y’11, do you believe that 4,500 undergraduates have no impact on the resource needs of New Haven or its congressional district? Clearly, they do, and should be counted so New Haven can get its fair share. If you believe you should be counted as part of your parents’ household–well, are you an adult, or not? After Yale, do you intend to live off of them, or on your own? Where, then, should you be counted?

Also, why should people only support the communities in which they themselves went to public school? That’s absurd. (Usually the people making this argument say “I don’t have kids in school,” but that’s equally absurd). Public school benefits everyone by producing an educated population. An illiterate, innumerate population would be costly to support, indeed.

Finally, nobody has “stolen” your vote. The census is a count, not a vote. However, if you are paranoid enough to think that the government’s constitutional duty to count your existence in some way infringes on your suffrage, perhaps you aren’t qualified to vote. Alas, our system takes all comers.

• @Y11

If a city like New Haven has to provide municipal services for college students practically year-round, it should get federal support for it.

If your small town keeps on exporting college kids, it probably shouldn’t count towards federal moneys for that town.

Just a thought.

And, eh. If small towns are getting shafted, oh well. They are Republican. It’s what they get. ^_^: Kidding.

• SY ’10

@#3, Where do you spend more time – Yale or your hometown? Given that I guarantee the answer is Yale (unless you spend the entirety of all your vacations at home and skip multiple weeks of classes), why should your hometown get money to provide services to you that you don’t use? Your hometown, which, I might add, is almost certainly far wealthier than New Haven if you are anything like the average Yale student. And you do have a permanent address here – it’s your residential college address. Why, in your mind, the city of New Haven should have to accommodate 5,000+ Yale undergrads, but get no federal funding for them baffles me.

@#2 What do you have against the US Census Bureau? Even the most radical conservative has to admit that it is explicitly required by the US Constitution (the original document, not even an amendment). It asks you some very simple, non-intrusive, demographic questions, which help ensure fairness in federal funding. If the YDN isn’t allowed to be in favor of the US Constitution, what exactly is it allowed to support?

• Alum

The city of New Haven accomodates Yale students? That’s a good one. More like the other way around. Given the amount of money Yale donates to New Haven, public schools, and projects; the amount of jobs Yale creates for locals; the amount of Yalies who volunteers in the community; and the personal contributions to the local economy (bars, restaurants, stores…),… yes, where was I? There’s as much poverty in rural America as there is in cities. I’m not saying New Haven doesn’t “deserve” more aid, but some rural communities that do not have the luxury of having an university nearby definitively need it more.

• Y’11

I do spend a lot of time at Yale, but when I’m here, I mostly use YALE resources.

Just so you know, I’m actually a registered Democrat and so is the majority of my town. Not all small towns are rich. I think people are confusing rural America with suburbs. I come from an area where there’s a drop-out rate of 25%, the school zone is probably bigger than an East Coast state, and the poverty rate rivals that of cities. The only difference is that we do not see government aid flooding in. Anyone who has volunteered in New Haven schools can tell you the majority of facilities are decent, if not unnecessarily nice. There was sewage leaking into my classroom while taking a final during my senior year of high school… just saying. So excuse me if I DO think that small towns don’t get enough attention and get absolutely shafted. This is the first time where colleges (which always happens to be in cities) actively see to it that their students register on campus. It’s great that New Haven is getting more money, but I just think that it’s unfortunate that people don’t even consider the negative consequences of this move.

• SY ’10

@#7 Yale does donate money to the City of New Haven. But it’s also tax-exempt, meaning that large amounts of taxes that would be paid if Yale’s property were owned by a for-profit entity aren’t given to the city.
    As for the rest of your argument, it seems to be a claim that no one should be counted in (or pay taxes in) the places they live. Of course Yalies spend money at New Haven businesses. I’m sure you spend money at the businesses of whatever city or town you happen to live in. Does that mean you shouldn’t be counted there? That your census dollars shouldn’t go there?
    I simply see no reason that it makes sense for students to be counted in a place other than the one in which they spend the most time, whose city services they get the most benefit from. And yeah, there are some places in America as poor as New Haven. What percentage of Yalies do you really think come from those places?

• @ alum

Yes Yale does all that for New Haven. New Haven worse off without Yale here. Sure. But undergrads are at Yale more than they are at home. Yale students contribute to New Haven’s economy. Why? Because they live here. Why not properly count the population of the country, and then see where whether certain areas receive disproportionately more money according to actual population?

• here’s an easy solution

Just make different “censuses” for the two very different purposes. One that’s used for voting representation (which college students can submit to wherever they are registered) and other other for tax allocation purposes.

• Pingback: Google

• Pingback: Sales Enchancement

• Pingback: Pirater un compte facebook

• Pingback: aspartamprodukty.blogspot.com

• Pingback: poker bonus bez depozytu