April 5th, 2010 | Uncategorized

Cross Campus 4.05.10

More than a hundred students lounging on Old Campus on Saturday afternoon gathered to watch a golden retriever named Jack attempt to catch a squirrel. Some cheered for the dog to rip off the squirrel’s head. The tense showdown lasted more than five minutes, and in the end the dog failed to catch the squirrel, which escaped by climbing up a nearby tree.

On Saturday night, a Branford sophomore was taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital after running into a lamppost and cutting open his forehead. He got a few stitches and is OK; the lamp is still out.

But will it be a musical? Yale College Council president Jon Wu ’11, Freshman Class Council chair Kat Lau ’13 and two other students were taping a video for commencement on East Rock on Saturday.

A group of about 20 Yale students and New Haven activists gathered Saturday in front of Union League Café on Chapel Street to protest the restaurant’s serving of foie gras — enlarged duck or goose liver, a French delicacy. “While this form of food is one of the most cruel,” said Eitan Fischer ’13 of the Yale College Student Animal Welfare Alliance, “it just highlights a trend of the entire industry, which is basically, this is how animals are treated.”

Say what? Saybrook College Master Paul Hudak joined the Yale club lacrosse team in a double header game against Columbia this past Saturday. Hudak even scored a goal in the second game.

‘Wet Monday’ slips out of control. Jonathan Edwards College’s time-honored water war, in which the freshmen storm the college, was cut short early Monday morning when a freshman was injured after falling down a set of stairs, according to witnesses. An ambulance arrived at around 12:15 a.m.

A Princeton freshman who claims she was unfairly denied double time on examinations to compensate for her learning disabilities is suing the university.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1968 Students respond to the assassination of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King with a memorial service in Battell Chapel, featuring music and readings of King’s speeches.

• super

The making of foie gras vastly predates food’s linkage with industry. So, it’s not indicative of anything timely. It was just always cruel, I guess.

• Vegetarian

However, it is indicative of the general attitude towards animals..i.e. it’s ok to force-feed ducks until their livers become so diseased that they may explode in order to get a particular flavor. This attitude is mirrored across the industry, which treats animals as if they are mere commodities, upon which inflicting enormous amounts of pain is a side-effect which does not matter.

• Gabriel F Goffman

I am disappointed by the jocular description of the Bradford students injury. He is a very experienced runner and was planing on running the Boston marathon. He was going on a late night jog and was not drunk at the time.

• super

@ Vegetarian

Yes … but I still say that they picked the wrong thing to protest. Better to protest the chicken used at the Burrito Cart, the beef from Educated Burger, even the vegetables from Ivy Noodle, all of which come from new, cruel, post-War industrial practices which wreck the Earth and our bodies in addition to compromising the lives of those animals/plants.

Protesting fois gras is misplaced effort.

• daaawwwggg

Jack is a big silly puppy dog, yes he is.

• Vegetarian

Really? It seems pretty clear, to me at least, that shoving food forcefully down the throat of a conscious, feeling animal is somewhat worse than plucking vegetables out of the ground.

Certainly other meat is also harmful to the Earth and our health, but it seems that there are degrees, no?

• super

@ Vegetarian

No. A handful of tortured ducks is a shame. Tens of millions of acres of land raped to squeeze bananas (or whatever) from the rainforest is an environmental catastrophe. Some abused ducks vs. millions of abused chickens. Ditto cows. Ditto pigs.

Be careful not to miss the big picture.

• sy11

I LOVE FOIE GRAS!!