Uncategorized | 1:36 pm | March 31, 2010 | By Yale Daily News

University responds to death of Berkeley junior

As news has spread about the death Tuesday of Berkeley College junior Cameron Dabaghi ’11, University administrators are reaching out to students who may have been affected by Dabaghi’s passing.

Berkeley College Master Marvin Chun substituted his Introduction to Psychology lecture today with an optional discussion with Lorraine Siggins, chief psychiatrist at Yale Health Services, and University Chaplain Sharon Kugler.

“What we do know from psychology is that it’s important to grieve with other people,” Chun said. He noted that only a few days ago, he shared an umbrella with Dabaghi, who seemed cheerful.

“It was completely unexpected,” Siggins added.

Ezra Stiles College Master Stephen Pitti ’91 e-mailed students in his college this morning and invited them to a gathering in the Ezra Stiles dining hall at 9 p.m. tonight in order to share thoughts and sentiments in the aftermath of Dabaghi’s death.

“It’s hard to know what to say or do in the aftermath of a loss like this one,” Pitti said in his e-mail, “but it’s important to come together.”

Branford College Dean Daniel Tauss also e-mailed the students in his college to suggest resources for grief counseling, including Mental Health and Counseling, the Chaplain’s Office and Walden Peer Counseling.

“You are not alone,” Tauss wrote. “Let yourself be there for others, and for yourself.”

Yale College Dean Mary Miller e-mailed the parents of undergraduates at around 10 a.m. today, notifying them of Dabaghi’s death and encouraging them to contact and comfort theirs sons and daughters.

David Burt and Traci Tillman contributed reporting.

• Yale Mom

The horror of such an event—it is every parents’ nightmare. The horror for those who knew the young man–suite mates, classmates—looking back for clues–could something have been done?, was something missed—?. Perhaps the young man was already in treatment—the sad circumstances of his mental agony are not know by all, maybe by some. I work in mental health and see suicidal patients and as others have said—the decison to reach out and attempt to get help can literally be a life saver. I have seen it happen many times.

The means of this young man’s death is so disturbing—he was absolutely determined to die—I am so sorry for all who loved him, those who were his friends and for all Yale students who are faced with trying to understanding choosing death over life. You Yale students have had more than your share of facing death this school year. Words seem so empty to express the shock and sadness of this event.

• um, you guys…

You might wanna take out the part that says “Read more about the University’s response to Dabaghi’s death after the jump.” I know you mean after break in the story preview, but all things considered…