March 12th, 2010 | Sports

Bulldogs prepare for Brown — without Backman

Tom Dignard ’10 fends off a Quinnipiac opponent during Yale’s 4–3 loss to the Bobcats on Feb. 27 at the TD Bank Sports Center in Hamden. The Bulldogs had a first-round bye in the ECAC Tournament.
Tom Dignard ’10 fends off a Quinnipiac opponent during Yale’s 4–3 loss to the Bobcats on Feb. 27 at the TD Bank Sports Center in Hamden. The Bulldogs had a first-round bye in the ECAC Tournament. Photo by R.J. Rico.

M. HOCKEY | One day before the start of the ECAC quarterfinals, men’s hockey coach Keith Allain ’80 continues to keeps his cards close to his chest. On Thursday after practice Allain revealed neither who will start as goaltender for the Elis nor how the team will try to replace injured right winger Sean Backman ’10 during this weekend’s series against Brown.

Backman is second in goals scored for the Bulldogs and had been a key player on both the power play and penalty kill units.

Allain did not elaborate on what specific line changes will be made, but he said that he will probably experiment with a few combinations during

• ThoomsFan

Calling Matt Thomey….This is exactly why Matt Thomey ’08, Yale Coaches Award honoree, was such a prized commodity in the past. He would be a perfect fit for the top line given his natural leadership abilities and blistering Backman-esque slapshot. We can only hope that Coach Allain can work his magic to find a player that matches the skill-set of a Sean Backman or Matt Thomey.

• Hubert Cumberdale

I couldn’t agree more Thoomsfan. It’s too bad Keith Allain doesn’t have a “Thomey-Signal” to call this young man into action. While Thomey may not have the speed to match the likes of Sean Backman, his shot could certainly rival his. Also, I’m pretty sure that Thomey can walk on water, so the swimming pool wouldn’t have been a hindrance to today’s game if he were still donning the Yale Y.

• Pingback: My Homepage

• Pingback: cheap auto insurance miami