While the Metropolitan Transportation Authority is supporting cuts that could interfere with Yalies’ midday travel plans to and from New York City, state officials are saying not so fast.

Governor M. Jodi Rell and the Connecticut Department of Transportation are opposing proposed money-saving changes to the MTA’s Metro-North Railroad New Haven Line that would take away two trains between New Haven and Grand Central, the Stamford Advocate reported Thursday.

In December, the MTA proposed doing away with a 1:34 p.m. train from Grand Central to New Haven and a 2:33 p.m. train from New Haven to Grand Central, according to the Advocate. The MTA also suggested removing a 1:15 a.m. local train to Stamford. The Advocate reported that the railroad said the cuts could result in savings of $900,000.

According to the Advocate, Daniel O’Connell, director of operations planning and analysis for Metro-North, said the three trains were selected because there are trains running at similar times and the selected trains are usually less popular. But Connecticut Transportation Commissioner Joseph Marie told the Advocate that Rell and the DOT think the trains have enough riders to continuing running.

“We want to minimize any impact on Connecticut riders,” Rell told the Advocate. “The last thing I want to do at a time when we are trying to get more people to use public transportation is to cut service.”