February 19th, 2010 | Uncategorized

Cross Campus 2.19.10

The class of 2010 is officially the most generous class in Yale history, breaking the records in both amount donated and percent participation. The seniors donated $29,670.41 to the Senior Class Gift, with 91 percent participation.

Je-rry! Je-rry! Je-rry! Seeing the posters advertising Jerry Speyer’s upcoming visit to the School of Architecture, a confused security guard visited the office of the dean’s secretary to inquire when Jerry Springer would be arriving on campus.

Cold weather in Washington. Former Yale Law School Dean Harold Koh, speaking in a public dialogue with his predecessor as legal adviser to the State Department, John B. Bellinger III, addressed concerns that Bellinger raised about the Obama administration’s slow action in international affairs. Koh defended the administration, noting that “it takes a lot more time to dig out from a snowstorm than it does for the snow to fall.”

Accident or hate crime? The NAACP got a rude awakening Thursday morning when an SUV backed through the front window of its New Haven office on Whalley Avenue. Police said one worker was in the office at the time, but she was not injured. When the car smashed through the window, police said no one was driving it, but when the car came to a halt, a man got in and sped off. Police are investigating whether the crash was intentional.

Battle of the sexes redux. A study released recently by researchers at Yale shows that the number of women aged 19 to 24 involved in fatal drunk driving accidents rose in the period from 1995 to 2007. But proportionally, young men are still more likely to be involved in such crashes. The study is published in the journal Injury Prevention.

Trapped on the minibus! A minibus ride Wednesday night for two unlucky Silliman students took 55 minutes from the time of the call to drop-off, including a 25-minute wait for pickup at Walgreens and another half hour spent touring various New Haven landmarks (including the Study hotel, Yale-New Haven Hospital and 10 Amistad St.) before returning to central campus. “At least we have snacks,” one of the students tweeted during his captivity.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1954 University Librarian James T. Babb expresses his view that the failure of Yale College students to utilize fully the resources of the library system is due to a combination of “ignorance and inertia.” As a part of efforts to make the libraries more pleasant places to study, officials begin allowing students to smoke in more locations inside libraries.

• grem

wasn’t one of said SM students former eic tom kaplan???

• Minibus or Short Bus?

So, unless these two Sillimanders were at Walgreens at after 1.00am, (and what’s so necessary after 1.00am that two students so safety-minded should be out for?) they could have walked across the street to 123 York Street and caught either the Blue Line or Orange Line Night Shuttles, which stop every 15 minutes, and would have delivered them to one of the corners of Silliman College.

• Jonathan

How did the two Silliman students GET to Walgreens? Did they walk? It’s a fifteen-minute walk, max. Don’t the regular shuttles that leave from Medical School stop in that area? I know it at least stops at the A&A building. Couldn’t they have walked a few hundred feet to the regular shuttle stop, rather than have to have door-to-door service? The higher quality service you demand, you’d better be willing to wait for it. I’m not feeling any sympathy for them.

• that’s NOTHING

I’ve waited for the minibus for as much as an HOUR at the med school, and I’ve been riding as a captive on the bus for as much as 45 minutes. On one ride, we came within half a block of my home, and then proceeded to drive around for another 25 minutes. Needless to say, I’m kind of burned out on the minibus…

• super

ummm … why did they need a minibus from Walgreens to central campus? It’s exactly one block away! Grow a pair.

• yalie

Did those spoiled brats really need to submit their bit about the minibus? Honestly, if you want to take the minibus, you have to realize that there are other people waiting for the services as well, meaning that you’ll have to WAIT your turn. And honestly, they should have just walked–the walk is probably no more than 10 minutes.