Who dat? Residential colleges provided snacks and spaces for football viewing Sunday, as the New Orleans Saints won their first-ever Super Bowl in a 31–17 victory over the Indiannapolis Colts. Dining halls served tailgate-themed dinners, featuring buffalo wings, hotdogs, and chips and dip.

Harkness Tower is on track to emerge from its blue tarp and steel scaffolding a few weeks earlier than was previously announced. The project’s contractor had hoped to unveil the tower in time for Commencement at the end of May. Now, the Office of Facilities expects to have Harkness ready by the end of April or early May, said Samuel Carbone, director of project management for construction and renovation.

Yale donor John Thain, who donated the money for the Thain Family Café in Bass Library, has been appointed chairman and CEO of CIT Group, a major American commercial lender that emerged from bankruptcy two months ago. Thain served as the head of Merrill Lynch until its sale to Bank of America in January 2009.

Flaunt your fetish. YCouture, in collaboration with Sex Week at Yale, organized a fashion show Saturday night that packed Ezra Stiles’ dining hall. Designs featured themes such as Barbie and Ken, secretary and boss, and housewives. About 20 models strutted their stuff down the runway.

Wine glasses in hand, local patrons strolled down Chapel Street on Friday evening to take part in New Haven’s “Flights of Fancy.” Downtown stores, their windows adorned with Valentine’s Day decorations, offered wine tasting and shopping.

Sister-sister. Though sorority rush ended last week, videos promoting Pi Beta Phi and Kappa Alpha Theta circulated on the Internet over the weekend. The films, produced by Bulldog Productions, tell the stories of “Pi Phi girl” and the “Theta superheroes.”

Trees for The Times? The Harvard Political Review’s blog reproached Yalies who are mobilizing to keep free print copies of The New York Times in residential college dining halls. Blogger Jonathan Yip said Yale students can just read their news online. “In this age of e-news everywhere, I think $50k for dead trees is pretty hard to justify,” he wrote.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1968 Two Yale graduate students, a postdoctoral fellow in biology and a graduate student in English, are arrested in a drug bust on York Street and charged with possession of marijuana and other “dangerous drugs.” A second raid shortly after results in the arrests of four New Haven youths.

YALE DAILY NEWS