Sterling Professor of Humanities Harold Bloom, who has been hospitalized since December, is “stable and improving,” according to Penelope Laurans, interim master of Jonathan Edwards College and special assistant to the president. A hospital receptionist said Sunday that Bloom was in a regular room, not the intensive care unit.

If your Internet connection was spotty Tuesday, it wasn’t just you. According to an ITS Systems Status e-mail, the cause was a power outage in the Commons Switch room at about 11:50 a.m. The problem was resolved by 2:45 p.m., ITS reported.

History and American Studies Professor George Chauncey ’77 GRD ’83, along with a Harvard University professor, testified in San Francisco on Tuesday at the trial deciding the constitutionality of Proposition 8, the same-sex marriage ban in California. Two same sex couples have sued the state because they were not allowed to marry.

Students hoping to enroll in “The Technological World” to fulfill their quantitative reasoning requirement may want to come up with a back-up plan: The course met Tuesday at 11:35 p.m. in Dunham Lab, and more than 200 students packed into the lecture hall, with more crowding outside the entrance. The class is capped at 80. On the Online Course Selection Web site, 394 students are shopping the course.

Secretary of State Susan Bysiewicz ’83 has scheduled a press conference today to discuss her plans for 2010. She was exploring a run for governor, but reports say she is expected to announce a bid for attorney general, given that the current attorney general, Richard Blumenthal LAW ’73, is planning to run for Christopher Dodd’s U.S. Senate seat.

It was a perfectly political evening at Blue State Coffee. At around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Ward 1 Alderman Mike Jones ’11 was chatting with Board of Aldermen President Carl Goldfield when Ned Lamont SOM ’80, who is exploring a run for governor, walked into the coffee shop.

Yale placed fifth in the Princeton Review’s list of “Best Value” colleges. Swarthmore College topped the list, which was ranked based on “academics, costs of attendance and financial aid,” according to a Princeton Review press release.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1980 Four fire alarms and an emergency phone did not work when a Silliman sophomore’s room caught fire. She eventually found another telephone to alert authorities. The room was gutted.

YALE DAILY NEWS