January 8th, 2010 | Uncategorized

Alpha Delta to close earlier

Both Alpha Delta Pizza (provider of the Wenzels, the legendary sandwiches) and Brick Oven Pizza will close at 1 a.m. “for the next month or so,” the Independent reported. The two pizzerias were asked by Dwight District Manager Lt. Ray Hassett to change their hours in the wake of the Dec. 26 shooting of two men in the neighborhood.

The Independent reported that the shooting and other “violent crimes” in the area led to the decision to have the restaurants close earlier.

Hassett told the Dwight Community Management Team at their meeting this week that the closure “eliminates that as a gathering spot,” the Independent reported. “It’s smart policing.”

Correction: Jan. 11, 2010. This article originally suggested that Wenzels will no longer be available after Alpha Delta’s dining room closes at 1 a.n. In fact, the restaurant will still make deliveries until 3 a.m., meaning Yalies may still enjoy the late-night wonders of Alpha Delta Pizza from the comforts of their dorm rooms, albeit with the added cost of tipping the delivery man.

• Ted Peters

Smart policeing ? Now there’s an oxymoron.The cops don’t want to do there jobs, so they close the shops.I think the city should pay their lost wages and fire the morons that came up with this idea.

• Smithey

Bummer!

• Dwight Resident

If all the businesses that were adjacent to violent crimes in New Haven had their hours curtailed, would anything still be open past 2PM?

As a resident of Dwight Street, I like having Alpha Delta open late because it means there are more people around during New Haven’s extended witching hours. Having drunk college students stumbling around is a poor substitute for a police foot patrol (do those exist in New Haven?) but at least someone is there to call 911 when you get shot.

• Y10

The Independent article seems to suggest that we can still get our late-night Wenzels—just via delivery only. Can anyone verify this?

• Pingback: Google

• Pingback: Pro Computer Gambler