News | 3:39 pm | December 20, 2009 | By Colin Ross

Yale Security faces layoffs

478dc85074167_picture2
Photo by Margaret Katcher.

As part of the University’s effort to reduce expenses, Yale Security is reorganizing, which will mean eliminating two or three positions, including the director of security.

Yale officials said trimming top layers of management will simplify and streamline operations. The highest position, director of Yale Security, will be eliminated and replaced by more lower-ranking supervisors, said Deputy Secretary Martha Highsmith, who oversees campus security.

Officials said it is still unclear how many layoffs there will be. University Secretary Linda Lorimer estimated that two or three jobs could be lost.

Still, in September, Highsmith said Yale Security and the Yale Police Department finalized a budget for the 2010 fiscal year without any cuts to personnel. She said no security or police officers were let go “for obvious reasons.” Although casual part-time security officers have been replaced by full-time officers, she added, overall staffing levels have not decreased. Yale Security and YPD have cut some administrative costs, but Highsmith said those cuts will not affect student safety.

Lorimer added that Yale’s budget deficit prompted an examination of Yale Security to see how it could be made more efficient. She said she thinks the new force will also be more effective.

Yale Police Chief James A. Perrotti has often said that he considers Yale Security to be the eyes and ears of his department.

Since the endowment fell 24.6 percent in the 2009 fiscal year, Yale has delayed faculty hires, laid off about 100 staff and suspended most construction projects. These budget cuts have recovered $250 million of the initial projected budget gap of $350 million, Yale officials said.

But now the remaining $100 million will be more difficult to find, Levin said earlier this month. Salovey said at the time that the remaining cuts must be achieved by finding “little pieces.”

-Nora Caplan-Bricker contributed reporting.

• anon

What about Mr. Ortiz? How about the fact that we can’t afford cronyism anymore–not here, not in the Finance dept.

• yale undergrad

security is just about the last thing that needs to be cut. the campus is already vulnerable enough. more security officers should be deployed everywhere – outside the colleges, near the libraries, around old campus – all throughout the night, every day of the week. come on yale, this should be basic.

• student

interesting that this came out during Christmas week, when no students are around and virtually nobody following the news…

• superstudent

Yes go ahead and layoff security. They’re no account useless bullies.
    But wait after X-Mas

• je10

From talking with some of the security staff, it seems 10-15 supervisors and management are being cut, almost the entire overhead. Walk around the Med School and try to find security after the last round of cuts during the summer. Safety costs money, apparently too much for the University to worry about staff and students. Security is the first thing to go during tough economic times, at least West Campus has a fence around it. This will be a great selling point for prospective students and thier families!

• yale05wfp

What?????WHAT???? In such an unsafe area why would this institution even consider any cut in security. After the murder this fall and other accounts of violence I would expect an INCREASE in security. Life has great value. Yale, the murdered student’s finding in her paper written before the untimely heinous death on campus, indicates that Yale has some catching up to do compared to other Ivy league safety/security. Thats the truth, please reconsider. I am an educator and will think twice about recommending students to look at Yale for this sole reason.

• rich

Why do yo uneed management and supervisors for security? You need the officers on the ground and one supervisor to crack the whip, so it sounds like a good move here…

• carla76

If they want to save money, cut all the security vehicles driving the students too, what other university has a private taxi service for students? Let them take the bus Yale already has running. They should charge for lock outs and other services like other colleges do also. Free services don’t last forever in this economy.

• student

I think maybe President Levin should start accepting a $1 salary. Isn’t the guy pretty wealthy? And doesn’t he make over a million dollars a year?

• y10

ya what about the former nhpd chief who’s easily sitting on a cool six figure salary overseeing security at an EMPTY campus….

• Kiki

What…. Yale should have more security people instead of cutting!!!!

• @#9

A bit of a simplistic view of things… generally execs who accept $1 salaries own a big chunk of company stock. Not exactly possible with a university.

• sillymander

Wait until the next tragedy then Yale will close the barn door after the fact. Half the security people don’t speak english anyway or have no general idea what they’re doing. The managers are just as bad for the most part. You basically have to deal with thier headquarters if you want anything done at all. Cut the fat out and put more competent people on the street.

• sillymander

What they should do is get rid of all those retired security people that are inside the buildings. if they make them retire they will save a lot of money. Let the rest of the security people move on to those posts that these older security people are holding, greedy people!

• sillymander

Yeah, right.

• Recent Alum

Yale is simultaneously cutting security and giving tenure to the teacher of “Sex, Evolution and Human Nature.” Interesting way to handle budget constraints.

• Realist

Security or the lack of it can’t be shown on a balance sheet, so it’s often the first thing cut by a business. And Yale is certainly a business. Yale will only react when security concerns threaten the bottom line or donors wallets.

• Patrick

Money should not be a major factor when discussing the safety of a student,and considering what happened to that student several months ago.