Uncategorized | 1:54 am | December 19, 2009 | By Yale Daily News

Blame it on the weather

Connecticut is the second unhappiest state in the country — at least according to a study released yesterday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The study, which was based on a survey of 1.3 million Americans, asserts that Connecticut residents might have cause for sadness because of the poor quality of the state’s general “happiness” factors, such as climate, tax rates, air quality and traffic congestion.

New York was the least happy state, according to the study. The purported happiest state is Louisiana, followed by Hawaii, Florida, Tennessee and Arizona.

• Ha!

I’ve always maintained to my friends at home that CT sucks more than anywhere else I’ve ever been. Seems I’m not the only one who thinks so.

• Joe_must_go

I think it’s more accurate to blame it on Joe Lieberman.

• Yale 08

Give me Connecticut over a hell hole like California any day!

• diggedty

The ‘smoothing rule’ seems useful for organizations with small endowments (as Yale once had). But once youre in the realm of 10 billion+, with little prospect of dipping below that in the medium term, the rule seems a bit arbitrary.

Put another way, the endowment managers took on huge amounts of risk to create the gains of the 1990s. However the organization cannot reap the benefits of such risk (either by receiving protection during downturns) or aggressive expansion when the climate is cheap. So whats the point?

Senator Grassley has a long-standing proposal to revoke the tax exemption of university endowments gains lest they actually spend on education (rather than science labs to attract patents, land in Brazil, medical facilities that are anything but free etc). These latter things are fine, and public goods, but they are not educational per se – the justification for why mega universities like Yale receive tax benefits. But if they act too much like corporations then it seems reasonable to tax them as such.

• Pingback: Homepage

• Pingback: robotic surgery lawsuit

• Pingback: Davinciro Robot Lawsuit

• Pingback: maid nanny service bangkok household help driver baby nannies kids school cleaning

• Pingback: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmYnAF4UL7E

• Pingback: check this product

• Pingback: devenir rentier

• Pingback: DDOS Protected VPS

• Pingback: meubels