December 3rd, 2009 | Uncategorized

Monkey business at Yale, via e-mail and in Commons

Updated 7:39 p.m. E-mail Cross Campus with photos, videos and written accounts of today’s monkey shenanigans, or post them in the comments box.

Most of Yale’s undergraduate community woke up Wednesday morning to find an unusual e-mail from Yale Police Department Chief James Perrotti. According to the e-mail, “five rhesus monkeys escaped from the neurochemical research laboratory of the Child Study Center.” The Yale community was warned to take caution in their movements around campus, and to seek medical attention immediately if they came into contact with any of the diseased monkeys.

It’s safe to say that the e-mail was a prank; the sender e-mail address was “james.perrotti@gmail.com,” rather than the chief’s usual “yale.police@yale.edu” or “safe@yale.edu.” Additionally, a hyperlink at the end of the e-mail, which was purported to link to “https://light.its.yale.edu/messages/univmsgs/detail.asp?Msg=48459,” was actually a link to this rather inappropriate Web site.

But the monkey shenanigans have continued throughout the day. Below are dispatches from News reporters around campus:

• “Someone clothed in a full body ape costume peeked into Catherine Nicholson’s 1 p.m. section of English 125 today during a discussion of John Donne. The ape quickly left and the class went on, albeit now with a closed door.”

• “At 12:30 p.m., a student dressed in a monkey suit appeared on Cross Campus, and other students in white suits ran after him and dragged him away.”
  • “At 1:17 p.m. today a safari-clad student rushed through Commons Dining Hall yelling, “Has anyone seen a monkey?” A student in a full ape costume followed the screaming safari student, and three more students dressed in white laboratory robes ran to capture the creature. The students may have been attempting to reenact a scene from them 1995 film Outbreak, which featured the fictional Motaba virus of central Africa and E-1101 serum that the e-mail had mentioned.”
  • During the Brain & Thought lecture in Linsly-Chittenden Hall this afternoon, a student dressed as a banana ran screaming through one door and out the other. Two students in ape costumes and a few “doctors” followed, screaming about monkeys. Professor Amy Arnsten, whose class was witness to a “zombie invasion” staged by the Pundits earlier this semester, took it all in stride. “I don’t know if anyone has been Pundit-ed twice,” she said, smiling.
  • Check back to the Cross Campus blog for more updates, and read the full e-mail from james.perrotti@gmail.com below:

From: Chief James A. Perrotti

Subject: A message from Chief Perrotti

Date: December 3, 2009 9:10:29 AM EST

To: itscomm2@yale.edu

A Message to the Yale Community:

I write to inform you that five rhesus monkeys escaped from the neurochemical research laboratory of the Child Study Center (230 South Frontage Road) at 5:07am on Thursday, December 3, 2009. All members of the Yale community are urged to exercise caution in their movements about campus until the animals are recaptured. If you or anyone you know comes into contact with one of the monkeys, seek medical attention immediately. The animals are infected with the Motaba virus, a hemorrhagic fever native to central Africa; Yale-New Haven Hospital staff is ready to administer the E-1101 serum, but it must be administered within several hours of infection. Subjects escaped on S. Frontage towards Central Campus and were last seen near George and Church. If you have any information regarding this case or should witness suspicious activity, please report it immediately to the Yale Police at 203-432-1374.

Sincerely,

James A. Perrotti

Chief of Police

Yale University Official Message

NOTE: This official Yale University message can also be viewed at: https://light.its.yale.edu/messages/univmsgs/detail.asp?Msg=48459

• wrong number

that isn’t the police phone number. who is that?

• Med

It figures that undergrads don’t know how to get to central campus from the med school (hint: Church Street is not on the way).

• right number

It’s John Gaddis’s office phone number

• ’10

Med,

Church street is not part of the MOST DIRECT route from the med school to central campus. It is, however, possible to take a rather indirect walk from the med school to central campus via a route that includes Church. If you were an infected rhesus monkey, would you necessarily take the most direct route?

• senior…

I was so cranky about all of the work I had to do this morning, but then I saw a man in a gorilla suit run by, and my problems seemed so insignificant, somehow.

• slender

‘has anyone ‘scene’a monkey?? wow, Yale students? I’m sure they don’t have english 101 at Yale but maybe they need too.

• Fail

^ true story

• @ slender

Townie, iron my shirt.

Also, “too” is misused in your post. I guess they didn’t include “english 101″ as part of your GED program.

• KathleenONeil

Yes, I would suggest you update the article and correct the “scene a monkey” and “reenact a seen” mistakes. Unless, of course, this article is the product of a million monkeys typing. Then I will let it slide, since they have some Shakespeare to write.
      Oh, and By slender (above) it would be “maybe they need TO,” although that’s not the greatest sentence either.

• hilarious

• Marie

If I am to judge an entire university from these comments (excluding you, #5 and #10), Yale is full of humorless robots who will tear apart grammar usage in Internet replies and argue about routes an infected rhesus monkey would take across campus, instead of giving a proper response such as “Awesome,” “That is awesome,” or “THAT IS TEH AWESOME!!!1″

For the love of all that is holy, remove the sticks from your behinds, and recognize this piece of performance art as the awesomest awesome that ever awesomed.

• JeanetteHay

Such email scams are common these days. Once a user buys the story and clicks on the embedded web link, he/she will be directed to a site or a file that most often than not, contains a virus that might cause disruptions to the person’s computer system. Some web links also cause the internet browser to launch advertisement pop-up windows once the link is triggered which again, might cause system disruptions. Users are always advised to practice precaution when opening emails that look suspicious even though it may come from someone familiar. Users are encouraged to update their anti-virus and always turn on the pop-up blocker when surfing the net.

• Pingback: Google

• Pingback: taiyo yuden capacitor

• Pingback: Codice Sconto

• Pingback: http://kasynobezdepozytu.tumblr.com

• Pingback: poker spielen online

• Pingback: slot machine da bar download

• Pingback: kasyno bonus bez depozytu

• Pingback: decatur il web design

• Pingback: Pirater un compte Facebook

• Pingback: free slots download for fun

• Pingback: meratol diet pill