December 1st, 2009 | News, University

Two Yalies win Marshall

James Luccarelli ’10 and Anna Jo Smith ’10 are among 35 students nationwide who have been named Marshall Scholars for 2010.

Luccarelli, a Branford College senior, is currently pursuing both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in chemistry and plans to undertake a two-year postgraduate degree in chemistry at Oxford this coming fall. The New York native is a Barry Goldwater Scholar and serves as the chief of operations for Yale Emergency Medical Services.

Smith, a member of Morse College who hails from Ashland, Va., is a sociology major and will study public health promotion at the University of London’s School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine. Currently the coordinator for the Dwight Hall Student Executive Committee, Smith spent the past three years working as a preschool assistant for All Our Kin, a New Haven-based nonprofit that aims to expand community access to early childcare and educational services. She also serves as head freshman counselor for Morse.

Stanford has the highest number of 2010 Marshall recipients with four. MIT also has two recipients.

The Marshall scholarship is awarded to a maximum of 40 American students annually for two years of study in the United Kingdom.

• dwight haller

WHOO ANNA!

• ProudWalrus

Way to go Anna Jo! The team is incredibly happy for you

• durfeesian

YAY ANNA JO!

• yls

Nabiha Syed (LAW ’10) was also named a Marshall today…woo hoo!

• Huh???

So we care about how many Marshall Scholars Stanford and MIT got, but no mention of Harvard???

• :)

CONGRATS ANNA!!!

• @5

Why assume they got any?