November 13th, 2009 | Sports

M. HOCKEY | Bulldogs beat Cornell 4-2

Captain and defenseman Ryan Donald ’10 winds up for a slap shot during Yale’s 8–0 exhibition win over the Ontario Institute of Technology on Oct. 30 at Ingalls Rink.
Captain and defenseman Ryan Donald ’10 winds up for a slap shot during Yale’s 8–0 exhibition win over the Ontario Institute of Technology on Oct. 30 at Ingalls Rink. Photo by Chris Harper.

The No.12 ranked Bulldogs were victorious against the No.3 ranked Big Red, winning 4-2 Friday night at Ingalls Rink.

Yale went down 1-0 with 2:15 in the first period after Cornell captain Colin Greening scored on a power play. But Yale hit back with Mark Arcobello ’10 scoring at 8:42.

Cornell took the lead again at 12:06 with a goal from Nick D’Agostino before Broc Little ’11 equalized at 19:19 to end the first period in a tie.

The second period was scoreless, but at 15:35 in the third, after surviving a 5-3 man disadvantage, Yale took the lead with a goal from Brendan Mason ’11. The Elis’ victory was sealed when Brian O’Neill’s ’12 clearance ended up in Cornell’s empty net to secure the 4-2 result.

Yale swept Cornell in all three meetings last season — twice in the regular season and once in the ECAC Tournament Championship final, in which the Elis captured their first-ever conference tournament title by defeating the Big Red 5–0.

Friday’s game was the Bulldogs’ first conference contest in the newly renovated Ingalls Rink, which opened last month.

Yale takes on Colgate back at Ingalls at 7 p.m. Saturday.

• WOOO

HELLL YEAHHHHHHHH