Guilty as charged. Visiting Yale researcher Ernest B. Moore pleaded guilty to charges of fraud this week in a federal court in Washington. Over the past decade, Moore defrauded banks, the federal government and credit card companies out of $800,000, according to The Washington Post.

Business-savvy Yalie Richard Littlehale ’10, CEO of the electronics recycling company TwigTek, won the East Coast Finals of the Global Student Entrepreneur Awards last week at the New York Stock Exchange. Littlehale will now compete for the title of the Top Student Entrepreneur in the World next week at the competition at the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation in Kansas City, Mo., facing off against students from more than 17 different countries.

Tsui keeps on believing. Sam Tsui ’11 was back on national TV last week, performing a cover of “Don’t Stop Believing” on MTV’s The Alexa Chung show. Chung played a clip of the viral YouTube video for the cast of “Glee,” FOX’s musical comedy show, and then surprised them with a live performance by Tsui himself.

The gift that keeps on giving. Yale-New Haven Hospital began its annual sale of holiday greeting cards to support The Tommy Fund for Childhood Cancer Wednesday. The cards, which are designed by young artists who are receiving treatment at Yale-New Haven Children’s Hospital, are a part of a regional fundraising effort to meet the needs of children with cancer. Over the last 22 years, the Tommy Fund has raised more than $300,000 through the card sales.

Chili anyone? Commons will be closed for lunch Friday to make way for Yale Dining’s first annual Chili Throw-Down. Students who pay the $5 entrance fee will become judges in the chili cook-off while supporting the United Way Campaign. The Calhoun dining hall will serve hot lunch from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in Commons’ stead.

Saybrook just got a little bit brighter. The light bulbs in the Saybrook library have been replaced with compact fluorescent bulbs. In a college-wide e-mail, members of the Saybrook College Council asked students for feedback on the change.

This day in Yale history

1987 The results of an Ivy League-wide poll reveals that students were largely unsure of whom they would vote for in the upcoming presidential election. While Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis led the overall poll with 12 percent of the vote, Yale’s favorite candidate was Illinois Senator Paul Simon. History professor Gaddis Smith ’54 commented that Yale’s preferences signified “a liberal return” to the country’s political environment.

Correction: Nov. 12, 2009

An earlier version of this Cross Campus misreported the TV station that airs the show “Glee.” The station is FOX, not MTV. The same item also mischaracterized the show. It is a musical comedy, not an a cappella reality show.