November 10th, 2009 | Uncategorized

Cross Campus 11.10.09

The show must go on. Fire trucks and a Yale Police car arrived at the University Theatre at 8 p.m. Monday night after the stage crew for the musical “Carousel” suspected an electrical fire. “Work lights browned out, and there was a strong, rubbery, chemical smell,” said Rorie Fitzsimons, the senior technical director for the Office of Undergraduate Productions. The crew evacuated the building and called 911, but firefighters determined the smell — though weird — was a false alarm.

The Yale University Press isn’t shying away from controversy, even after drawing criticism over Jytte Klausen’s “The Cartoons That Shook the World.” A new book by French philosopher Emmanuel Faye, titled “Heidegger: The Introduction of Nazism Into Philosophy,” argues that professors must treat the work of Martin Heidegger — which has influenced fields including existentialism, political theory and postmodernism — as hate speech because it is contaminated by Heidegger’s Nazi ideology.

Women and war. Women’s Health Research at Yale will follow 20 to 30 male and female soldiers for a year and monitor them for anxiety, drug and nicotine use, as well as signs of post-traumatic stress disorder, to determine whether women soldiers have more trouble adjusting to postwar life than men.

More bang for your buck. Financial and business Web site Kiplinger.com ranked Yale third in its 2009-’10 list of the 50 best values for a private university education in the United States, behind the California Institute of Technology and Princeton. Rice University was the fourth best value in the list, which ranks universities based on academic quality and affordability. Harvard rounded out the top five.

Making the cut. Dartmouth College administrators are looking to cut $100 million from the budget over the next two years, the student newspaper reported Monday. Administrators expect to lay off more employees and will examine Dartmouth’s financial aid policy in search of places where budget reductions can be made.

Despite Wednesday’s 63 degree weather, Chapel Street light poles are now bedecked with snowflakes in anticipation of the holiday season — which, judging by the Yale Bookstore, started just before Halloween.

This day in Yale history

1968 Janis Joplin and Big Brother and the Holding Company played two shows at Woolsey Hall. Students, dancing in the aisles and on the stage, kissed Janis Joplin, who the News reported was “the sexiest, earthiest performer Woolsey has seen in many years.”

• HDT

YDN, so many people are going to assume that Women’s Health Research at Yale is hypothesizing that women are “weaker” than men. Considering how ignorant most people, even at Yale, are about both mental health issues and women’s health issues, I would hope you could be appropriately tactful and balanced in your reporting on the subject in the future.

Research into female soldiers and PTSD arises from the fact that this is the first war where a significant number of women faced the same stresses as men. When men engage in behaviors that are symptomatic of PTSD, such as punching a wall or instigating a violent altercation, it’s expected and somewhat accepted. Women, however, are expected by our society to maintain composure, and women in the military have extra pressure on them not to show weakness. Thus, women soldiers with PTSD often have less social support than do men, and have a harder time finding relief within their families, where they are often expected to revert to the expected female gender roles.

• @HDT

How would you have the YDN word the blurb? I fail to see what is unbalanced or untactful about this brief mention of a research project. It sounds like you are simply afraid it doesn’t line up with your political agenda.

• Goldie ’08

Man I bet that Janis Joplin show was awesome. Someday 40 years from now will cross campus read “T.I. performs underwhelming show?”