Yale College Dean Mary Miller explains, in a guest column on page 2, the administration’s disciplinary policies surrounding the “Pre-season Scouting Report” e-mail that circulated last month.

After a false fire alarm evacuated Rudolph Hall and the Loria Center at 9:30 a.m. Thursday, a crowd of students and faculty had to wait 20 minutes on the opposite side of York Street after two fire trucks arrived at the scene. Professor Diana Kleiner continued her “Roman Architecture” lecture on the side of the street, as one student held up a laptop with the slides.

If side-street art courses are your thing, Kleiner’s lecture is one of the 10 new free courses added Thursday to the Open Yale Courses Web site.

Chernobyl on Tower Parkway? The lawn of Swing Space was dotted with “Radiation Hazard” signs Thursday afternoon as work crews dug a ditch to repair a gas leak, according to a police officer at the scene. The trench was refilled, and the signs were removed in the early evening.

Saybrook’s hammock, which was stolen last week, reappeared Thursday in the grass courtyard, rolled up on the ground next to its stand. “We are delighted that our beloved hammock is back in its rightful location,” Master Paul Hudak said in an e-mail.

So much for musical chairs. In another attempt to finance the renovation of Mory’s, the restaurant’s Board of Governors decided to put classic Mory’s chairs on sale, which subsequently sold out in less than 24 hours.

A report by Ernesto Zedillo, the former president of Mexico and director of the Yale Center for the Study of Globalization, led an external review of the World Bank released Wednesday. The report recommends reforming the bank’s governance structure.

President Barack Obama will be in Stamford, Conn., today to visit a small business and attend a fundraiser for Sen. Chris Dodd.

Blame it on the bladderball. The Sophomore Class Council of Yale decided to cancel Oktoburgerfest on Saturday, citing the commotion caused by bladderball and a lack of Port-a-Potties.

Baby Gnome. Davenport Dean Craig Harwood’s son, Asher, turned two yesterday. During lunch, Davenporters enjoyed cake and sang happy birthday to the college’s toddler-in-residence.

This day in Yale history

1942 Undergraduate earned 50 cents an hour harvesting local apples.

Correction: October 23, 2009

An earlier version of this Cross Campus misidentified Davenport Dean Craig Harwood as the college’s master.