September 17th, 2009 | Uncategorized

Levin addresses arrest in campuswide e-mail

Within minutes of this morning’s press conference ending, University President Richard Levin sent out a campuswide e-mail with a statement on Raymond Clark III’s arrest.

In the e-mail, Levin said “nothing in the history of [Clark’s] employment at the University gave an indication that his involvement in such a crime might be possible.” Clark, an animal lab technician, has worked at Yale since Dec. 2004.

Levin said Clark has been “suspended from employment” and barred from campus. The full text of his e-mail has been reproduced below:

To the Yale Community:

The New Haven Chief of Police has just announced that Raymond Clark has been arrested in connection with the death of Annie Le. We are relieved and encouraged by this progress in the investigation, but, of course, we must resist the temptation to rush to judgment until a full and fair prosecution of this case brings a just resolution. As with every development in this tragic story, we think first of Annie’s family, her fiancé and his family, and her friends, and our hearts go out to them.

Mr. Clark has been a lab technician at Yale since December 2004. His supervisor reports that nothing in the history of his employment at the University gave an indication that his involvement in such a crime might be possible.

It is frightening that a member of our own community might have committed this terrible crime. But we must not let this incident shatter our trust in one another. We must reaffirm our deepest values as an institution – our commitment to the search for truth, undertaken in a spirit of openness, tolerance, and civility. The work of the University requires us to engage with each other in the classroom, to collaborate in the laboratory, and to trust one another in workplaces across the campus. In many, even most respects, this University is a model of citizenship and civility. It will take the efforts of everyone to maintain that standard.

In the days and weeks ahead, we will redouble our efforts to educate the community about Yale’s zero tolerance policy for violent, threatening, and abusive behavior. We have formal policies in place covering employees and students, and effective grievance procedures to bring forth complaints.

This incident could have happened in any city, in any university, or in any workplace. It says more about the dark side of the human soul than it does about the extent of security measures. Nevertheless, safety is a very high priority, and we will shortly be soliciting suggestions from the community about how we might further improve campus security.

We are all deeply indebted to the men and women of the FBI, Connecticut State Police, New Haven Police, Yale Police, and Yale Security. They have worked tirelessly and cooperatively since Annie’s disappearance last Tuesday. Yale will continue to provide all needed assistance to the State’s Attorney as the case proceeds. As is our practice when an employee is charged with a serious crime, Mr. Clark is being suspended from employment at Yale and barred from the campus. His ID card no longer allows him access to any Yale building.

We are a close community with deeply shared values. Monday night’s candlelight vigil gave moving testimony to the caring and compassion of this place. Let us continue to offer comfort and consolation to Annie’s family and friends, and let us honor her memory by rededicating ourselves to the search for truth to which she herself was so deeply devoted.

Richard C. Levin

President

• rhetoric reality gap

Reality Check:

A researcher at another Yale lab in the building where Ms. Le’s body was found said that Mr. Clark was “very officious and very demanding” and that Mr. Clark had given graduate students who worked as investigators a hard time…..“I told his supervisor.”

• reality gap gap

What supervisor makes the jump from “officious and demanding” to “strangler”? The fact that he was an annoying co-worker (incidentally, actually enforcing lab policies on footwear) doesn’t mean Yale should have identified him as a future alleged murderer.

• Alum ’06

I congratulate the YDN staffers on your thorough, tireless work. Your efforts are both impressive and necessary.

• N

Pretend the preponderance of evidence existed that Ray Clark did the crime and the Federal government stepped in and said, no, an Arab in Afghanistan did it.
    And the local cops and State cops and Yale all rolled over and agreed.
    Instead of Ray being investigated, tried and convicted, he’d get off.
    We’d go after Arabs instead at great expense of money and more people’s lives.
    This is exactly what happened on 9/11 and yet Yale clings to the notion it’s worthy of its motto, “Lux et Veritas,” meaning “Light and TRUTH.”
    Yale is wretched, disgraceful and contemptible.
    Its demonstrated cowardice in not demanding an independent, fully funded and fully empowered 9/11 investigation has rendered it eternally shameful.
    It is not the ethical luxury of anyone at Yale or the global academic community to return to their posts when it is their moral and intellectual duty to reinforce the noble strike for truth and justice. We have been contemptibly nonchalant, murderously indifferent and traitorously silent for too long.

• DC 2011

I applaud Levin for reminding students that this could have happened anywhere. It’s important to keep what has been labeled an isolated homicide in perspective, but I don’t think especially underclassmen were likely to believe this until a University official made a statement about it. It may not be enough to allay fears about campus security, but I hope it’s a start.

• Grad student

Who is gonna be covering his butt more than Levin is Ray Clark when he is thrown in prison.

• A Far Away Observer in PA

First, my prayers go out to Annie and her family, both biological and fraternal through Yale. I do have one question, with all those cameras, does ANYONE EVER LOOK at the film in them ? What is the purpose of all the cameras? Are they just for show? Why did it take so long to find the poor girl? It just doesn’t make sense to an uneducated person, let alone for it to happen where supposedly some of the world’s greatest minds are! If I had a child who was working in that “secure” lab, my trust would be broken, and they would be at aanother learning institution. On the street, maybe this crime could have happened. Behind locked, secure entrance doorways and 5 days searchingfor a body=not really very secure at all.

• Security

Unfortunately, no one has yet designed a workplace capable of keeping employees safe from a fellow worker with equal site access who turns out to be a murderous sociopath. Maybe N, the loon who posted above, can draw something up for us.

• InnocentUntil..huh?

Wait, so he’s immediately guilty? What country is this again? Isn’t it possible he is being framed? I’m just saying… couldn’t the bruises and scratches be caused by someone else in the effort to set him up? I dunno. Neither do you. Am I the only who watches TV crime dramas around ehre?? And how about “nothing in the history of [Clark’s] employment at the University gave an indication that his involvement in such a crime might be possible.” So doesn’t that suggest a totally opposite conclusion than “we got our guy, this is obviously the murderer”? Keep an open mind people in case something more sinister happened here. The fact that NH PD is not releasing any evidence to the public (again) should be a red flag.