Uncategorized | 1:45 pm | September 13, 2009 | By Harrison Korn and Zeke Miller

Investigators search trash at Hartford incinerator

An FBI truck is parked outside a waste processing facility in Hartford on Sunday.
An FBI truck is parked outside a waste processing facility in Hartford on Sunday. Photo by Harrison Korn.

Update, 2:16 p.m. | An FBI Evidence Response Team — including a large truck and a Chevrolet Suburban — just arrived at the incinerator. They are now parked outside along with several State Police cruisers.

HARTFORD — The Federal Bureau of Investigation and Connecticut State Police spent Sunday morning sifting through trash at an incinerator here as they continue to search for clues in the disappearance of Annie Le GRD ’13, who has not been seen since Tuesday morning.

State Police cars could be seen parked outside the facility, which is operated by the Connecticut Resource Recovery Authority, and workers in white hazmat suits are searching through piles of garbage.

FBI agent Bill Reiner said officials are “following the trash” that left 10 Amistad St., the laboratory where Le was last seen, according to The Associated Press. He declined to comment further.

Investigators on Thursday were seen sifting through the trash outside the Amistad Street building, but it is unclear if they found anything of interest in that search.

Zeke Miller reported from Hartford, and Harrison Korn from New Haven.

• LM

This reminds me of a case many years ago in Pasadena. The police took so many days to mount a search for the body of a little girl who had gone missing in a mall–despite copious blood found in the service elevator–that the trash had been emptied several times and they had to bring in anthropologists to search the local landfill. They finally found her. Then, as now, this should have been done the day she was reported missing (or at least the morning after), *before* any trash left the building. It is beyond my understanding why law enforcement officials do not do the obvious immediately. One sometimes wonders if they have any compassion at all for the loved ones of missing persons.

• Flabberghasted

FIVE DAYS later? What kind of evidence will they find? Ashes, now?

It looks like someone is dragging their feet. This looks like another Jovin case. The perpetrator is under their noses. They must know it is someone connected to the university.

Not surprising that they are five steps behind the evidence. If they don’t find anything, they can’t convict anyone, and no faculty, reputation, or endowment will be tarnished.

• Stop It

Hey guys, remember this? http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/university-news/2009/09/11/search-continues-missing-student/

They DID look through the trash, and now they’re obviously looking deeper. Stop saying that these detectives don’t know what they are doing or that they aren’t doing their jobs the right way.

• DJL

The police are doing everything they can. You have to remember that she was not reported missing until hours after she entered the building. Also, the trash from the building may not be picked up everyday, so there may not be any clues to find in the incinerator. In addition, it’s pretty clear that if anyone did harm her, it would have to be a university employee or student, because it appears that everyone has to swipe a card to enter the lab – it just a matter of going through records to find out who entered the lab, the time and day, and compare their comings and goings through the video tapes. A $10,000 award may make someone want to talk.